1 Short title and application cite [+]
This Act may be cited as the Private Agencies Act 1971 and shall apply throughout Malaysia.
2 Interpretation cite [+]
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
"business of private agency" means the business or activities which are carried on by a person for the purpose of-
(a) providing guards and protection for the personal safety and security of another person or for the safety and security of the property or business of such other person; or
(b) obtaining and furnishing information as to the conduct, activities or affairs of another person;
"letter of approval" means a letter of approval issued under section 9;
"licensed private agency" means a private agency in respect of whose business a licence is issued under section 3;
"Minister" means the Minister charged with the responsibility for internal security; and where by virtue of section 17 the Minister has delegated any or all of his powers and duties to the extent of such delegation the expression "Minister" includes any person to whom so much of that power or duty has been so delegated;
"private agency" means a person who carries on a business of private agency as hereinbefore defined;
"unlicensed private agency" means a private agency in respect of whose business no licence under section 3 is issued.
3 Issue of licences cite [+]
(1) No person shall carry on the business of private agency except in pursuance of and in accordance with a licence issued by or on behalf of the Minister and unless there is, in respect of such business, a deposit made in a manner provided by or under subsection (3).
(2) Any person who desires to carry on the business of private agency shall apply to the Minister for a licence and, subject to the provisions of the following subsections, the Minister may issue such licence or refuse to issue it; and in issuing such licence or renewing the same under subsection (4) the Minister may impose thereon such conditions as he may deem desirable for the purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of this Act.
(3) No licence under this Act shall be issued or if issued, no business of private agency shall be carried on, unless there has been made, kept and continued to be kept at all times with the Accountant General a deposit of such sum and in such form as the Minister may prescribe.
(4) It shall be a condition precedent to the issue of a licence under this section that the applicant shall have paid such fee as may be prescribed by the Minister and such licence shall expire not later than the end of the calendar year in which it commences, but may be renewed every year upon payment of the aforesaid fee.
(5) The Minister may by order exempt any person or class of persons from the provisions of this section.
4 Revocation, cancellation or suspension of licences cite [+]
(1) Where in the opinion of the Minister a licensed private agency carries on its business or engages in activities or its business is being used for any purpose prejudicial to peace, welfare and good order in the Federation, or contravenes this Act or any other written law, the Minister may, subject to subsection (4), revoke or cancel or suspend the licence issued to such licensed private agency.
(2) If the revocation, cancellation or suspension of a licence under this section is made by a person to whom the Minister has by virtue of section 17 delegated his power under this section, a licensed private agency who is aggrieved by the revocation, cancellation or suspension of his licence may within 14 days of such revocation, cancellation or suspension appeal to the Minister.
(3) The decision of the Minister in revoking, cancelling or suspending the licence under subsection (1) or made on an appeal under subsection (2) shall be final and shall not be questioned in any court.
(4) Before revoking, cancelling or suspending a licence, the Minister shall give an opportunity to the licensed private agency concerned to show cause why such licence should not be revoked, cancelled or suspended, as the case may be.
(5) Where the licence of a private agency is revoked, cancelled or suspended under this section, the deposit kept under subsection 3(3) shall forthwith be forfeited to the Government and shall thereupon be paid into the Consolidated Fund.
5 List to be published cite [+]
The Minister shall, in the month of March every year, cause to be published in the Gazette a list of licensed private agencies, and additions to and deletions from the list shall be published from time to time as they are made.
6 Special provision relating to seizable offence cite [+]
Nothing in this Act shall entitle a licensed private agency to enquire into any seizable offence and if a licensed private agency or the employees thereof during the course of business or otherwise obtain any information relating to any seizable offence (whether already committed or to be committed) such licensed private agency or the employees thereof shall pass on such information to a police officer or make a report at the nearest police station.
7 Identification papers cite [+]
(1) Every licensed private agency shall provide for and issue to its employees identification papers in such form and containing such particulars as may be prescribed by the Minister.
(2) Every employee of a licensed private agency shall at all times carry the identification paper and produce the same for inspection when required by a police officer to do so and shall surrender the identification paper to the licensed private agency, if he ceases to be employed.
8 Power of police officer to examine cite [+]
Any police officer may examine identification papers issued under section 7 and may also examine the licence issued under section 3.
9 Employees of a licensed private agency cite [+]
(1) No person shall be employed in any capacity whatsoever by a licensed private agency unless there has been issued in respect of such person a letter of approval by the Commissioner of Police or the Chief Police Officer.
(2) A licensed private agency who desires to employ a person shall apply for a letter of approval to the Commissioner of Police or the Chief Police Officer of the State in which that person ordinarily resides or, if he is ordinarily resident outside Malaysia, to the Commissioner of Police or the Chief Police Officer of the State in which the licensed private agency has its registered office, and the application shall be in such form and shall contain such particulars as may be prescribed by the Minister.
(3) Upon receipt of an application for a letter of approval, the Commissioner of Police or the Chief Police Officer may, after making such enquiries as he may deem appropriate, issue a letter of approval.
(4) For the purpose of making inquiries under subsection (3), the Commissioner of Police or the Chief Police Officer may require the person to be employed to submit to all such steps as may be reasonably necessary for the taking and recording of his fingerprints.
(5) The Commissioner of Police or the Chief Police Officer may refuse to issue a letter of approval.
(6) Any person whose application for a letter of approval is refused may within 14 days from the date of such refusal appeal to the Minister who may confirm the decision or direct the issue of a letter of approval.
(7) The decision of the Minister on an appeal under subsection (6) shall be final.
10 Uniform, badge or emblem cite [+]
Subject to any law relating to uniform, badge or emblem, any uniform, badge or emblem intended to be worn by the employees of a licensed private agency shall first be approved by the Minister.