How can I become a registered industrial design agent in Malaysia?
In order to be registered in the Register of Industrial Designs Agents by the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia, an applicant must be either domiciled or resident in Malaysia or has a principal place of business in Malaysia, and
- is on the Register of Patents Agents in Malaysia;
- is an advocate or solicitor practising solely in Malaysia; or
- holds a recognised degree in any field of studies and has had at least three (3) years of experience in the field of industrial property.
An application to be registered as an industrial design agent can be made to the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia 1 on ID Form 11 accompanied by a registration fee of RM1,000.00.
The Registrar, upon being satisfied that the application qualifies to be registered in the Register of Industrial Designs Agents, shall register the applicant for a term expiring on 31 December of that year.
An application for the extension of registration as an industrial design agent shall be made to the Registrar on ID Form 12 together with a renewal fee of RM400.00.
An agent shall be removed from the Register of Industrial Designs Agents if he:
- is no longer domiciled or resident in Malaysia or no longer has a principal place of business in Malaysia;
- is convicted of a registrable offence or any criminal office involving fraud or dishonesty; or
- has been struck off and not restored to the Register of Patents Agents of Malaysia or the Roll of Advocates and Solicitors of Malaysia or is suspended for the time being from that Register or that Roll.
- The official website of the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia MyIPO (Perbadanan Harta Intelek Malaysia), an agency under the Ministry of Domestic Trade, Co-operatives and Consumerism.
Back to the top
Related Knowledge Base Issues