At what age can you get married without parental consent in Malaysia? What is the minimum age for marriage in Malaysia?
If both parties are twenty-one (21) of age and above, no consent of parents or guardian is required for marriage.
Minimum age for marriage of a minor 
in Malaysia is eighteen (18) years of age for male and sixteen (16) years of age for female and the following must be met:
- Consent of parents or guardian must be obtained in Form JPN. KC01B (Written Consent To The Marriage For One Who Has Not Completed 21 Years Of Age) . Parental consent must be obtained in writing from:
- his or her father; or
- his or her mother if the person is illegitimate or his or her father is dead; or
- his or her adopted father if the person is an adopted child; or
- his or her adopted mother if the person is an adopted child and the adopted father is dead; or
- the person standing in loco parentis to him or her before he or she attains that age if both his or her parents (natural or adopted) are dead; or
- of the Court.
The written consent must be signed before any Registrar of Marriages.
- A special marriage licence granted by the Chief Minister in Form JPN.KC01D (Application For A Marriage Licence For Female Below 18 Years Of Age But Having Completed 16 Years)  must be obtained for female sixteen (16) years and above but under the age of eighteen (18) years.
- There must not be any lawful impediment to the proposed marriage.
- ^ Minor means a person who is under the age of twenty-one (21) years of age and who is not a widow or widower [Interpretation of Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act 1976].
- ^ JPN.KC01B can be obtained from the National Registration Department (Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara JPN), Marriage and Divorce Division. No payment is required.
- ^ JPN.KC01D can be obtained from the National Registration Department (Jabtan Pendaftaran Negara JPN), Marriage and Divorce Division. Licence fee is RM10.00 and valid one (1) month from the date of approval.
Back to the top
Related Knowledge Base Issues