What are my rights and responsibilities as a hirer under a hire purchase agreement?
- To receive a copy of the hire purchase (HP) agreement.
- To obtain any information regarding the account.
- To request a statement of outstanding balance (once every 3 months).
- To settle early the full outstanding amount.
- To terminate the agreement at any time.
- Read all the fine print in the written agreement.
- Check that the purchase price and HP terms in the agreement are as agreed. Do not sign blank or incomplete agreement/ forms.
- Ensure that you can afford the instalment payments for the duration of the HP financing and pay your instalments on time.
- Know your rights and obligations under the HP contract so that you do not commit any actions leading to a breach.
- Keep all documents pertaining to the HP financing such as agreement, receipts, etc. in a safe place.
- Not to remove, sell or dispose off the motor vehicle without the consent of your banking institution.
- Inform your banking institution of any change of address.
- Insure the motor vehicle after the first year and to update your banking institution within 14 days before the current policy expires.
Reprinted with permission from BankingInfo (A Consumer Education Programme by Bank Negara Malaysia)
Back to the top
Related Knowledge Base Issues