Who can repossess a car in Malaysia?
Repossession of motor vehicles are generally carried out by repossessors who are registered members of the Association of Hire Purchase Companies Malaysia (AHPCM) 1.
All repossessors must comply with the rules set by AHPCM when carrying out their duties.
Among others, the rules required a repossessor to:
- Show hirer the Repossession Order and his authority card issued by the banking institution before he repossesses the motor vehicle;
- Obtain permission of the resident/hirer before he enters into the premises to repossess the motor vehicle;
- At all times appear and act in a professional manner;
- Not use strong arm tactics and force when carrying out his duties;
- Give hirer enough time to clear his personal belongings from the motor vehicle to be repossessed;
- Immediately make a police report after he has repossessed the motor vehicle and bring it to the place indicated by the banking institution.
- Official website of the Association of Hire Purchase Companies Malaysia AHPCM (Persatuan Syarikat-Syarikat Sewa Beli Malaysia)
Reprinted with permission from BankingInfo (A Consumer Education Programme by Bank Negara Malaysia)
Back to the top
Related Knowledge Base Issues