It is very important to maintain a healthy work life balance, if not for you alone but also for your family. Working constantly is just not healthy. You become tired, grumpy and can even get sick from working too much.
In today's technologically driven world it's easy to have get stuck working at a computer, or virtual office. Sometimes, technology makes it so easy that we forget that we need to get off our computer, take a break and maintain that healthy balance of work and play.
Here are 10 ways that you can start improving your work life balance.
1. Leave work at work. Even if you work from home, you should set aside a certain number of hours a day for work, so that you can have some time for you. For at least a few hours a day you should try to log off e-mail, put down your cell phone, and stop discussing work related issues.
2. Working from home has advantages. If you can work from home, it can benefit you. You can take a lunch break whenever you need and make a home cooked meal. You can take breaks when you need them. And, when working from home, dedicate a room to do work. This will create that healthy work life balance.
3. Family time. Make sure that if you have kids you make time for them every single day. A great way to do this is to make it a priority to eat dinner with your kids. Make it mandatory. You're family is always more important than work; you don't want your kids thinking you care more about work than them.
4. Try to make weekends relaxing. If you don't have to work on the weekends, make that a time where you spend time with family, run errands, and relax. You should make time for fun! Read a good book, go to a museum, rent a movie and make it a movie night. It's important to have this free time.
5. Take your vacation days. A healthy work life balance means taking your vacation days. You need to take advantage of days away from the job or virtual office. If you can't afford to go somewhere, just stay home and relax.
6. Exercise. Even just a half hour of moderate exercise will give you a burst of energy to face the day. Before work, during work, whenever you can find time to escape and even take a short walk around the block can really help you maintain your focus.
7. Set limitations at work. Set a cut-off time for working. If your boss doesn't understand this, a human resources representative would understand this as an act to help your work life balance. Follow these rules you've set for yourself to avoid working overtime.
8. Get a hobby that doesn't involve work. Finding a hobby you enjoy outside of the virtual office or work setting will really help give you something to look forward to. It will also help you see that there is more to life than just work.
9. Get your sleep. You always hear that sleep's important. But, it really is. Without proper sleep, you aren't able to properly function. So, never skip sleep to work. It will affect your work and your personal life.
10. Outdoor/indoor activity. It's really important to maintain a good balance of your indoor/outdoor activity to have a better work life balance. A lot of jobs require much time indoors. So, when you have free time, get outdoors, go to a park with your family or go for a walk. It can really boost your creativity!
It's important to have a healthy work life balance no matter what your job is. Just remember that taking time to relax is just as important as your work.