Unfortunately, the reality is that life can be stressful. De-stressing does not mean eliminating any and all problems in your life. After all, there will be conflicts, there will be arguments, there will be stress. However, there are ways to decrease the pressure and make life more enjoyable. Here are 10 practical ways to do so.
1. Money is the most common root of stress. Making money, paying off debts, supporting others and getting tired physically, mentally, and emotionally in the process is stressful. Face your money problems. You can do this by consulting with a financial planner, and learning to live within your means.
2. Exercise is a fantastic way to let go of the tension inside you. Grab a friend and join a gym, or sign up for a class. If you would rather not spend money, then go jogging or take long walks. Exercise not only clears the mind, it also detoxifies your body and rejuvenates you.
3. Start eating better. A healthy diet will make it possible for you to think better, be more alert, sleep better, and strengthen your body with needed nutrients, minerals and vitamins.
4. Organize your home. Start with your bedroom and throw out things you haven't used in years. The less clutter you have, the easier it is to move around your house. You will also have less to dust and less things to worry about. There are some people who fear losing things and end up keeping everything out in the open. Other people just feel comfort in having old things around as a reminder of happier days. The happiness is in your heart, and not necessarily in objects or papers. If you need to store anything, put them away in labeled containers. If you want to see them, then hang them up on the walls, or prop them up in display cabinets.
5. From the house, proceed to organizing your workspace. This will help you find things better, and focus on the "need to do" instead of scrambling around for things to do.
6. Decrease the work you do by delegating. If you tend to keep accepting jobs and projects regardless of your load, learn to be choosy.
7. Stress is also present because you may have too much on your plate. It's just like a buffet table, there's no need to pile up your plate with food because you can always add later on. Do the same with your life. Don't assume too much responsibility or always be "on" 24/7.
8. Start a journal. If you don't enjoy handwriting, use the computer. You can keep track of your day, and find relief laughing at past mistakes or fun times you wrote about, just like you did if you had a diary as a child and started to read it today. The advantage of having a journal is that you can release tension without having to talk to anyone, if you don't want to.
9. On the other hand, there really is no substitute as having a friend to lean on. You can share your intimate thoughts, desires, frustrations, and dreams, and not be judged.
10. Enjoy life. There will always be something good about your day. Actively seek that, and the stress will slowly dissipate.