Developing a moving house checklist is an important task to a successful move. Compiling a moving house checklist will help you better manage the actions that need to be considered. Importantly, being well prepared will ensure that come moving day you will not be under undue pressure and therefore forget things.
The first step when planning a move is to compile a thorough checklist of things to do and think about as you get closer to move day. This is an important step so that you can keep a sense of perspective on the tasks that lie ahead.
Information for removalists:
Prior to contacting removalists, establishing a list of goods to be moved and noting key relocation details will assist when establishing first contact with removalists. They will require information such as:
* Origin and destination contact details.
* Pickup and delivery addresses - are there any details specific to the location such as lifts, stairs that will need to be used. Importantly, if you require a lift, will you need to book it beforehand? Are your pickup and delivery locations on a main road with parking restrictions? Will you require short or long term storage while you are arranging your new residence?
* Removalists will require a list of the goods that you want to relocate. This will ensure firstly the accuracy of your quotation and secondly that you don't include any "dangerous goods" which are prohibited from transportation.
* Providing your preferred move dates will allow your removalists to prepare resources. If you are moving overseas sea and airfreight bookings will need to be made in advance.
* Any special requirements you may have for high value belongings. Antiques and paintings may need special packing or even purpose built crates. This will ensure safe transit.
* Whether you require your goods to be professionally packed and unpacked or you intend to pack yourself. Your removalists can advise you on the best ways of packing however be aware that transit insurance is limited for items deemed as "packed by owner".
* If you are wanting to complete your own packing the removalists will be able to advise you on the quantity and type of removalists boxes you will need.
There are many things to consider. These useful moving tips will help you save time and worry.
Change of Address
Changing your address is fairly straightforward, but often some important contacts are overlooked. If you consider all the people and organizations that you are in contact with the list begins to grow considerably. Besides personal friends there are other contacts that are often overlooked. These include:
* The post office will need to know your new address to redirect your mail for a period of time after your move. It is not possible to tell everyone about your relocation so this helps you contact those people that you may have forgotten.
* Financial institutions not only include your bank but also superannuation funds, investment advisors and any other company that you might have financial interests in.
* The taxation office will need to know your new address. However, if you are moving overseas confirm with your tax advisor what requirements you have in relation to the tax office.
* Your insurance companies, home, contents, car, boat and health are important factors in your personal asset protection. A change in address might affect your policies and rather than assuming everything will continue, it is best not to ignore any of these. Forgetting some of these can be easy, particularly today with direct debit on insurance premiums.
* Family healthcare - Telling your health professionals is one thing, but you should also obtain your family's medical records. Having your health history will benefit your new doctor, dentist, pharmacist, physiotherapist and other health services you may need.
Discontinuing utility service such as electricity, gas, water, telephone, cable TV, internet, pool services, newspaper delivery and garden maintenance will ensure that you do not incur further costs after you have vacated your home. Furthermore, make sure that these services are already connected at your destination. If you are moving within your own country some services such as cable television and internet subscriptions can be transferred.
Planning ahead will relieve the stress on packing day and ensure that you are not rushing and run the risk of forgetting important tasks.