It is no doubt that ICT, science and technology has grown in heaps and bounds over the last 10 years and this has taking a negative toll on web surfers mostly to those buying one goods or services online. Online hackers has also mastered and perfected their game very well that they can easily defraud an unsuspecting web surfer or online buyer. These hackers can clone a websites completely and also send you an unsolicited email asking you to verify your account and also updating credit card details. Seeing that the average web surfer or online buyer may not know or be able to detect a potential fraud, hence the need to know how to avoid online scam and ensure both online and offline credit card security.
To avoid offline credit card fraud and ensure proper security for your card, here are some check list that you have to keep to: -
1. Keep your card in a safe place: - Some people are too careless that they can even leave their credit card in their unlocked office drawer. You have to own a wallet with which you will be keeping your credit cards. A locked drawer can also help. The catch is just to make sure that the details of your card are not exposed to anybody.
2. Destroy any document with your card details on it: - Any document that you are not making use of but has your credit card number on it should be destroyed, not just to squeezed and throw away. You can shred, tore into pieces or even burn with fire.
3. Obey the necessity rule: - What I mean by the necessity rule is this; your credit card should only be seen when needed. It shouldn't act as a decorative device that you can place on your table any how or keep for all to see. Rather, it should be hidden and only available when necessity calls for it.
4. Report a stolen or misplaced credit card: - This is also one of the ways to prevent offline fraud and ensure the security of your card. If your card is stolen or you misplaced it, it is wise to report immediately to your card issuer so as for it to be blocked and also prevent unauthorized usage of your card.
5. Be live with your transactions: - Always make sure that all your transactions are done and carried out in your presence. Don't give out your card to a third party for him or her to carryout transactions for you except you are Mr. Santa.
To ensure online credit card security and avoid fraud, here are also some check list that you have to keep to: -
2. Buy through recommended merchants: - You are safer if you buy online only through some recommended and recognized merchants. Also avoid buying directly from seller's individual website.
3.Look at the web address: - Before buying online from any website, take a second to look at the web address. For a safe online shopping, the web address of the checkout page should start with https:// instead of http://.
4. Limit your online rebilling programs: - Some people are into much online membership program or other programs on the internet that charges monthly re-bills. The bad side of this is that the rebilling is done from your credit card details that are already stored on their website. So do yourself some favor by limiting such rebilling programs.
5. Use virtual credit cards: - Most virtual credit cards can't be used more than once, this helps to limit online fraud and ensure credit card security. It is advisable to go the way of buying online with a virtual credit card instead of your own personalized card.
6. Buy online using gift cards: - This is probably the safest means of buying online. Look around for gift cards and use them to buy online instead of putting your credit card at risk. The advantage of this is that you're buying for free and without your credit card information. Gift cards are in various dollar bills ranging from $50-$1000.