Have you ever encountered a fire in your house? Fighting a fire in one's home is one of the scariest things one can do, even if the fire is small. You have to make very quick decisions in order to handle the situation correctly. For example, you have to make an instant assessment of the cause of the fire so that correct measures can be taken to tackle it. It is very important that you learn how to handle such situations so that you do not lose control of the situation, leading to a huge loss of life or property. However, what is far more important is for you to take steps to ensure that fires do not occur in the first place. It is far easier to prevent a fire than to fight it, and far cheaper to boot.
Fire prevention is a very important subject because it is a cause of a lot of deaths, particularly of young children who are helpless in these circumstances. Most fires that lead in fatalities occur at night when people are at their most vulnerable.
There are certain appliances that can cause fires in your home if they are improperly utilized. Furnaces and space heaters are the first appliances that come to mind. You should never leave space heaters on when you are not at home. You should also not use extension cords with them because the large amount of electricity required to keep them running can cause the wires to melt, thereby leading to a fire. Make sure that there is nothing combustible next to your space heater, such as newspapers, curtains or even the wall.
You should also be very careful with how you handle electricity at home. You should be extremely wary about overloading sockets. You should also use only good quality extension cords because frayed cords can increase your fire risk.
Your kitchen can be another fire hazard if you are not careful. You have to wear well fitting clothes at all times. You also have to be careful to keep pot handles turned away from you so that you do not snag them accidentally in your clothes. Keep your stove top clean and free from grease. If grease does catch fire, never pour water on it. Instead, you should cover the pot in order to cut off oxygen supply to it. Never store flammable liquids at home, and if you feel compelled to do so, make sure that they are stored with a lot of care.
If you have children, you have to teach them about fire safety. Never allow them to play with matches or lighters. As far as possible, children should never be allowed in the kitchen because there is too much scope for fire accidents. Finally, if you smoke cigarettes, make sure that you never do so when you are in bed or when you have had too much to drink.
If you follow these preventive measures, there is a very high probability that you will never have to deal with a fire in your house.