The kitchen is like the nucleus of a home. This is where most families spend time together cooking up meals and watching television. As so much time is spent in the kitchen, its designing should be wisely done, perhaps with the help of these tips.
1. If you are designing the kitchen on your own, do it by visualizing yourself using the kitchen. If a designer is doing it for you, they should design it based on your usage of your kitchen.
2. As counters at kitchen entrances usually end up littered with keys, cell phones and purses, add a drawer for all this, and a charging station for your mobile. This thus leaves you with counter space to use for food preparation and serving.
3. Don't choose kitchen designs that look great on paper; they will not always function as you want it in your kitchen.
4. All kitchens require pull out drawers and shelves to add organization to the kitchen. Pots, pans, utensils and other kitchen necessities can be stored for easy access.
5. If appliances will be changed or moved whilst redesigning the kitchen, keep its specifications and dimensions in mind. Different models of the same appliance have different specifications and measurements. They thus won't fit into similar spaces.
6. Creatively use the kitchen space. Before you start with your designing, collect articles and pictures of elements that look interesting in the kitchen. You can then pick, choose and use the best in the kitchen design.
7. Don't forget to visit kitchen showrooms, home design stores and open houses where you can take photos of what interests you. Even magazines and remodeling shows on television will give you inspiration to design your kitchen.
8. Keep the client's storage needs in mind to determine how much of cabinetry the kitchen requires. Depending on the quality and material used, and if they are stock units or custom made, cabinets amount to half the kitchen designing expenses.
9. All plumbing work has to be completed before placing cabinets in, and when the walls are open.
10. The placement of electrical outlets and lighting has to also be done when the walls are open. Usually three types of lighting are used in kitchens; ambient lights for the room, task lights for workstations and spot lights for food display. Don't forget to also run television cables, telephone wires and computer network wires, if needed, when the walls are open.
11. Kitchen surfaces should be chosen wisely as the kitchen is a hot and messy place. Choose surfaces that balance durability, cleanliness and attractiveness. You can make a better choice by asking about the different features of different surfaces.
12. Budget the kitchen designing work well. Basically, a kitchen remodel shouldn't cost more than 15% of the total value of the house. If it exceeds this, it means that you are spending too much for the project.
13. Don't forget to check local building codes to find out what is permissible in your kitchen, so that you can design it accordingly.
With the help of these tips, you find it much easier to design your kitchen.