Black mold which is scientifically named Stachybotrys chartarum, is actually a greenish black in color. Its spores can make their way into your home or office through open doors and windows, air conditioning and heating intake spots and any other ventilation openings. They may also attach themselves to pets, clothes, shoes and shopping bags and get in that way. If this happens you might soon need black mold removal.
Once the spores get inside, they can grow on surfaces that are low in nitrogen and high in cellulose. Such materials include gypsum board, fiberboard, dust and paper. The spores are able to form into mold when these materials become oversaturated. This excessive moisture often occurs from floods, water damage or condensation. To be more specific, it can grow on ceilings, paper products, carpet, wood, drywall, paint and upholstery.
Its removal is highly recommended. Schools and workplaces are a particular concern since in these buildings, people are inside for long stretches of time. Therefore, these places should be checked regularly for any signs of growth. Infestations have been linked to many health problems including pulmonary disease, coughing, fever, headaches, fatigue, chest tightness and irritation of the mucus membrane.
Detecting this unwanted intruder is basic. Check areas where water or condensation may have been an issue. You can see and smell the infestation right away.
Removal is usually done fairly easily with soap and water or a bleach solution of one cup mixed with a gallon of water. Do not mix bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products. Always wear protective eyewear and nonporous gloves during the cleansing process.
Be thorough in the cleaning and be sure to dry the area completely afterward as even when dead it may still cause an allergic reaction and if it is not a complete cleansing, the problem may persist. Taking care of a hard surface should be straightforward. Non hard surfaces on the other hand could present a problem and can become costly. While you may think you have fully dried out a water damaged carpet, you may not have taken care of the issue. Infested carpets and insulation will likely have to be replaced.
Preventative measures are always your best defense against headaches later on down the road. Routine checks of water leaks or areas of condensation should be made and any problems fixed immediately. Keeping humidity levels between 40-60% will also help prevent excess moisture. Use a dehumidifier during the humid months. Do not put carpet in the bathrooms and clean bathrooms with mold-inhibiting products. If a carpet does become flooded, replace it.
On a last note, studies show that allergies are aggravated by any type of mold. If you are susceptible to its effects, and you see or smell it, there are health risks. This is the case for all buildings whether it be your home, places of business or where you or your children attend school. No matter the type of mold, you should immediately arrange for getting rid of it.