A hot tub is a luxurious addition to any home. It provides the perfect venue to relax and unwind after a hard day's work. There's nothing better than the feeling of slipping into warm water, letting it massage your whole body and allowing it to send you into a peaceful and blissful state.
But to be able to enjoy the comforts of your hot tub fully, you must regularly clean and sanitise your hot tub and keep it free from bacteria and mould. Below are some of the most practical methods and ways by which you can keep your hot tub as clean and as good as new.
1. Make sure that all water is drained after each use. Leaving stagnant water in a hot tub can contribute to the formation of bacteria. It can also provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes and other insects. Wipe down the surface of your hot tub after draining the water to make sure that your hot tub is kept dry between each use.
2. Clean the shell of your tub every three or four months. This ensures that your hot tub does not form mineral deposits and icky scum lines. You can clean your hot tub shell by using commercially available products. You can also use a more environmentally friendly method: just mix 1 part of white vinegar with 1 part of water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto the surface of your hot tub and wipe dry with a clean rag. This solution can break down lime scale build-up and can even get rid of mould and mildew.
3. Clean the filter of your hot tub regularly. Following the instructions in the manual of your hot tub, remove the filter from the tub. Take out hair, large debris and particles from the filter (you may use a soft cleaning brush for this). Then, use a hose to spray down the filter until the water runs clear. After that, you can disinfect the filter by soaking it in warm water mixed with a little bleach. This solution can kill germs, viruses and bacteria. Rinse and allow your filter to dry before putting it back into your hot tub.
4. Scrub the surface of your hot tub to remove stubborn stains and grime. Use a soft scrubbing pad and a mixture of baking soda, white vinegar and water to scrub down stubborn dirt. Make sure that you don't use scrubs or brushes that are too abrasive, since these can scratch the surface of your hot tub. You can also look for brushes specifically made for fiberglass or ceramic.
5. Look for different cleaning tools made especially for hot tubs. Leaf skimmers, spa wands and spa vacuums are all practical tools that you can use to help you clean your hot tub. You can check out your local hardware or spa store to look for these tools.
Soaking in a hot tub is a great way to relax or to enjoy an evening with your spouse or your friends. Make sure that each hot tub experience is a lovely one by cleaning your hot tub regularly.