Commercially available insecticides and pesticides are very effective in killing and getting rid of pests like mosquitoes, cockroaches and even mice and ants. But they are also effective in poisoning our systems and the air we breathe. Choose, instead, to use organic and safe pesticides or employ non-toxic pest control methods.
There are dozens of pest control companies who use safe and non-toxic compounds and sprays to get rid of pests. But you can also make your own simple, organic sprays to help you keep the bugs away from your home. Just follow the simple steps below to make your pest-free without sacrificing the health of your family.
1. Get rid of ants using cucumber, mint tea or Cayenne pepper. The first thing to do to get rid of ants is to discard anything they're attracted to. Wipe away crumbs, for instance, or keep your sugar jar tightly covered. You can also use cucumber peels or slices (which ants don't like) and Cayenne pepper or coffee grounds (which ants won't cross) in their line of path. You can also use these items to block off their entryways. Dry, crushed mint leaves or mint tea can also act as an ant deterrent.
2. Keep your home free from dust mites by making sure each room is always clean. Vacuum beds, pillows and sofas regularly to get rid of dust mites and their eggs. You can also wash bed sheets, pillowcases and beddings in very hot water (above 55 degrees Celsius). This can kill dust mites and their eggs. Tannic acid powder can also help you keep stuffed animals and pillows free from dust mites.
3. Keep your kitchen and bathroom clean to avoid cockroach infestations. Cockroaches thrive in humid, dark and dirty environments. Bathrooms and the space underneath your kitchen sink are places where roaches like to hide. Make sure you keep these areas clean by washing them regularly with strong soap. Catnip can also help you get rid of cockroaches. You can leave catnip in areas where there are roaches. You can also mix a little catnip in hot water and store this mixture in a spray bottle. This can then be used as a non-toxic cockroach spray.
4. Say goodbye to fleas by using cedar oil and citrus fruits. Make sure that you give your pet a bath regularly to minimise flea infestations. You can also make a simple anti-flea rinse by boiling a slice of lemon in water and letting the lemon soak in it overnight. You can then use this mixture on your dog to kill fleas. You can also use cedar shampoo and cedar oil to get rid of fleas in your pet's house or on its bed.
5. Use citronella, garlic juice or certain plants to help you get rid of mosquitoes. Citronella oil, which is available in many health stores, can be used on a burner to keep mosquitoes away from your home. You can also mix one part garlic juice with five parts of water and keep this in a spray bottle. You can then use this mixture on different parts of your body for an effective mosquito repellent. There are many plants that can repel mosquitoes as well. You can plant marigolds in your garden to keep the mosquitoes away.
Don't settle for pesticides or insecticides that can harm the environment and your family's health. Keep the earth and your home safe and free from bugs and toxins by using the simple methods listed above.