What to do when you have a teen that is overweight? Teens are especially conscious of their weight at this age and when they are struggling with obesity it can be a very difficult time for them. This is when they need your support the most to help them lose weight and regain their self esteem.
Firstly do not give up because there are a number of ways that you can help them to lose weight. Here are 5 ways to help your teen lose weight today.
1. Get the family involved: rather than just making your teen eat in a healthy manner all the family can make a change for the better. This will help all the family improve their health and your ten will have support and not fee that they are being singled out. Changing to a better diet by eating healthy foods and exercising more will benefit the whole family. try to encourage all the family to eat more vegetables, fruits and whole grain foods.
You can do this by preparing good healthy food menus to make quite sure that everyone in the family is getting well balanced meals. It is wise to stop buying junk food at the grocery store. When you cut down junk food and soda your teen will be able to lose weight. Sometimes healthy foods will cost a little more but it is worth it as your family,s health is on the line.
2. Do allow occasional treats as a break from the norm. This will prevent the feeling of being deprived and craving to eat junk. You can still have pizza once in a while but you can have some better alternatives. Instead of garlic bread smothered in butter and cheese you can go for the breadsticks with marina sauce.
Shared snacks can be ordered instead of the regular large portions. This will cut down the quantity consumed. Give your teen the chance to make food choices for themselves and allow an occasional indulgence. The main objective is to change eating habits into healthy ones rather than totally depriving your kid.
3. Family outings can be fun: you can incorporate activities such as walking in the park or visits to the local recreation center on the week ends. You can play family baseball and sports which will bring the whole family together and get everybody to be active and take exercise the fun way.
4. Positive thinking is very important: Always be aware of your teen's feelings. Obesity is a very sensitive issue. The last thing you want to do is to nag them about it. In fact if they feel more positive about themselves they can lose weight quicker. You as a parent can be their greatest motivator.
It is very important to keep up your teen's morale. Try to help them to understand that they do not need to have low self esteem because they are overweight. You need to let them know that you accept them for who they are. Try to encourage them in their endeavors and not find fault with them. You should make it clear to them that you do not think less of them because they are overweight.
This will boost their confidence and encourage them to try to lose weight. You can help your teen to express their feelings in a more open way.
5. Eating breakfast: this is one of the most neglected meals in many families. But this is in fact one of the most important meals and a key to your teen losing weight. Eating a good breakfast will help to stop the urge to eat junk snacks before lunch. It may be an uphill effort to get your teen to get up a little bit earlier to eat breakfast but the end result will be worth it.
Eating a healthy breakfast will boost your teen's metabolism and give them energy for the rest of the day's activities. This will allow them to burn more calories and take more exercise during the day. It will also prevent them from binging when they get hungry.
With these points you will be able to help your teen to lose weight and most importantly keep it off. No doubt it will be hard work but when you both see the results of a leaner happier child you will know that it has all been worth it.