The saying goes that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. And often you may find that taking that initial step is the most difficult thing to do. So, when you are setting out to achieve your fitness goals, it's important that you begin on the right note. This can not only help you successfully complete the transition from a sedentary to an active lifestyle, but also ensure that you are able to stick to your training plans without much effort. If you are interested to know how, read on to find some tips that can help you start well and stay the course.
1. Start with small steps instead of big leaps. There is no use going flat out for the first seven days and then fizzling out. Exercising is about continuity and long term benefits. So, try to progress gradually and see your interest and stamina increase.
2. Go for change, not transformation. Try to identify the activities which are already a part of your daily schedule. In case you can walk for fifteen minutes everyday to go for grocery shopping or taking your kids to school, you are already into exercise! Just add ten minutes of extra walking or perhaps jogging and you have actually started an exercise program, without going to the gym!
3. Do things instead of getting them done. In order to break out of inactivity, you need to ditch some habits like taking the elevator, driving short distances, operating electronic gadgets with a remote etc. To become active, just take the stairs, walk or cycle when you are not going too far and get up from your couch to change the TV channel.
You can surely find many other activities which you can conveniently dodge because of technology that's available to assist you. Shun some tech wonders in order to give your body the exercise that it needs.
4. Be around active people. Try to be in the company of people who are fitness conscious and exercise regularly. They can not only serve as role models whom you can look to emulate, but also provide you with useful tips and tricks about exercising. So, remember that a peer group of couch potatoes won't help much!
5. Set time-bound goals. Success with your short-term goals can really motivate you to work out harder and longer. So measure your progress every week or on a fortnightly basis. You will surely be happy when the scales tell you that you have lost a quarter of a pound!
6. Variety is best for you. In order to ensure that your exercise regimen doesn't become boring, keep trying new types of exercises, provided they are relevant to your fitness goals. You can also try your hand at some new sports along with regular exercise. Going for an adventure holiday, is also a great idea.
7. Find an exercise-partner. If possible, exercise with someone who has similar fitness goals as you. Then, you can both egg each other on to push the limits!
In addition to following these tips, you can also hire a fitness trainer. She can be your mentor and guide throughout the time you exercise and ensure that you enjoy working out!