Penang Bar is a body representing legal practitioners in Penang, Malaysia.
It has been said that the history of the modern Malaysian judiciary began with the acquisition of Penang Island in 1786 by Captain Francis Light. As the island flourished into a strategic trading post with its growing population, Captain Light was compelled to seek the counsel of the Governor-General in India on the legal aspects of governing the people of this settlement. By 1807, a Royal Charter was granted to Penang which provided for the setting up of a Supreme Court. This was followed by the appointment of the first Supreme Court judge designated as the "Recorder". The Supreme Court of Penang was first housed at Fort Cornwallis and was opened on 31st May, 1808.
The first Superior Court Judge in Malaya originated from Penang when Sir Edmond Stanley assumed office as the First Recorder of the Supreme Court in Penang in 1808. Interestingly, Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of Singapore, was the first registrar of the Supreme Court of Penang. Later, and with changes made to the judiciary of the Straits Settlements, the designation "Judge" was substituted for "Recorder".
Hence, the Malaysian legal profession actually originated from Penang at the turn of the 19th Century.
The legal establishment in Penang was later progressively extended to the Federated Malay States in 1937 and much later to the Unfederated Malay States in 1951.
In the mid-80's, the Penang Bar had approximately 300 members but now our number have grown to a strong 1,000.
The official website of Penang Bar features useful contacts; downloadable circulars; Legal Aid Center contact information as well as important activities and updates relevant to advocates and solicitors practicing in Penang.
No. 4 (1st Floor) Greenhall,
Penang High Court
(Malay: Mahkamah Tinggi Pulau Pinang)
Kompleks Mahkamah Pulau Pinang
Share this page
bar pulau pinang
|Guide ID: 3165 - Last Updated: September 2, 2013