The Malaysian Bar
(Malay: Badan Peguam Malaysia
) is the professional body, established under the Legal Profession Act 1976 to regulate and represent the legal profession of advocates and solicitors in Peninsular Malaysia.
Coat of Arms of the Malaysian Bar
It promotes the interest of the legal profession in Malaysia, uphold the cause justice for all uninfluenced by fear or favour, the highest standards of ethics and diversity across the profession and the development of good relations with other legal professional bodies at home and abroad.
The legal profession of Malaysia is a fused profession as there is no distinction between and an advocate and a solicitor.
Bar membership is mandatory. Every advocate and solicitor holding a valid practising certificate is automatically a member of the Malaysian Bar.
The Bar Council
, known as the Majlis Peguam Malaysia
in Malay term, is the central council of the Malaysia Bar established to manage the affairs of the the Bar for proper performance of its functions.
The Bar Council comprises thirty eight (38) members who are elected annually to manage the affairs and execute the functions of the Malaysian Bar.
Separate bodies regulate the legal profession in East Malaysia. The bar association in Sabah is known as the Sabah Law Association (SLA)
whereas in Sarawak, it is known as the Advocates Association of Sarawak (AAS)
The official website of the Malaysian Bar
- About the Bar Council, Bar Council Secretariat and Library
- Membership (Sijil Annual, Pupillage, Starting a New Practice, Admission)
- Legal Directories (Find a Lawyer or Law Firm, Notaries Public, Commissioners for Oaths, Legal Aids Centres, Malaysian Mediation Centre (MMC), Register of Mentors, Seniority List)
- General Statistics and Number of Law Firms and Lawyers by State
- Governing Laws, Bar Council Rulings and Practice Directions
- News and Notices
- Resources for Foreign Lawyers
- Public Awareness
Screenshot of the Malaysian Bar
||Malaysian Bar Council
Leboh Pasar Besar,
50050 Kuala Lumpur,
||+60 (3) 2050 2050
||Website available in English version only.
Share this page
majlis peguam malaysia
badan peguam malaysia
bar council malaysia
|Guide ID: 1 - Last Updated: November 20, 2017