Jabatan Peguam Negara (JPN) Malaysia
Also known as the Attorney General's Chambers
in English term. It is the office of the Attorney General of Malaysia.
The Attorney General's Chambers (Malay: Jabatan Peguam Negara
) started with the provenance of the Attorney General as the country's chief law officer, and later Attorney General's Chambers was recognised as a formal government institution.
In 1948, the various functions of legal advice afforded to the then colonial government were consolidated as a federal department under the provisions of the Federation of Malaya Agreement, 1948.
Later in 1951, the Attorney General's Chambers which was then known as the Department of Law
, was classified as a Ministry and was held responsible for all legal matters involving the Government.
Listed below are the placements of AGC over the years:
1957: Ministry of Home Affairs and Justice
1959: Ministry of Justice
1964: Ministry of Home Affairs and Justice
1974: Ministry of Law and Attorney General
1980- present: Prime Minister's Department
The functions of the Attorney General's Chambers are:
- to give legal advise to the Malaysian Government in accordance with international law and principles taking into account the policy of the Government, public policy, interest and domestic laws;
- to advise the Federal and State Government on all legal matters including syariah laws;
- to draft all legislation for the Federal Government;
- to provide prosecution instructions to all related law enforcement agencies for criminal cases; to represent the Government in civil cases; and
- to revise & reprint the laws of Malaysia & to undertake law reform in identified areas.
The Attorney General's Chambers of Malaysia
official website features latest cases and decisions; lists of investigation paper & civil cases; judgement debtors, education scholarship & loan cases; list of notaries public, commissioners for oaths, bills tabled in parliament, acts passed by parliament; Assessments on the Competency Level-PTK.
||Attorney General's Chambers
No. 45, Persiaran Perdana
||Available in English and Malay versions.
Share this page
attorney general's chambers
attorney general of malaysia
|Guide ID: 360