This software allows character based applications to print to any Windows printer, including USB, network printers, faxmodems and PDF writers, even if it is a Dos/Windows application or a Unix/Linux app. running on a Windows PC via telnet, without changes to the original applications.
You can set your application to print to an ascii file, or you can have Printfil capturing a parallel port output, automatically redirecting your print jobs to any printer, even if a printer is phisically connected to the captured port.
In addition, it will allows you to:
- preview printing
- include logos or background images stored in separate files
- colorize the text
- print A4 landscape sheets instead of printing on dot-matrix 136-column printers
- print to ANY printer installed on the Windows Control Panel, including USB, GDI, Windows-only and Virtual printers
- send the print jobs via fax (using any third-party fax software acting like a printer - i.e. Microsoft Fax - or a multifunction - all-in-one - printer)
- print to networked printers without having to "NET USE" a LPT port
- use special windows fonts (barcodes, for instance) as well as normal characters
- exporting the print jobs in PDF format, with or without user intervention, even with encryption and password protection
- use your own, single set of escape sequences for ALL the printers, regardless of the make, model, supported emulation (or no emulation at all, as for Virtual and Windows-only printers)
- and other interesting features.
All this without changes to your applications.
If you are developing host based applications (like Unix) and the clients are using them with a Windows Terminal Emulator, you can stop to fight with transparent-print characters and different settings for different printers. All you need is a shared file system (NFS, SCO-VisionFS, Samba and others) where to store output for your print jobs and PRINTFIL.