What is KeePass?
Today you need to remember many passwords. You need a password for the Windows network logon, your e-mail account, your homepage's FTP password, online passwords (like website member account), etc. etc. etc. The list is endless. Also, you should use different passwords for each account. Because if you use only one password everywhere and someone gets this password you have a problem... A serious problem. The thief would have access to your e-mail account, homepage, etc. Unimaginable.
KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish).
* Strong Security
* Multiple User Keys
* Portable and No Installation Required
* Export To TXT, HTML, XML and CSV Files
* Import From Many File Formats
* Easy Database Transfer
* Support of Password Groups
* Time Fields and Entry Attachments
* Auto-Type, Global Auto-Type Hot Key and Drag&Drop
* Intuitive and Secure Clipboard Handling
* Searching and Sorting
* Multi-Language Support
* Strong Random Password Generator
* Plugin Architecture
KeePass currently is available in two different editions: 1.x and 2.x. They mainly differ in portability and functionality:
* KeePass 1.x: Runs on all Windows systems without any prerequisites. Does not need to be installed; is portable. Fewer features than 2.x.
* KeePass 2.x: Runs on all Windows systems with Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or higher
installed. Does not need to be installed; is portable.
Additional features of 2.x:
* Internal Attachment Viewer/Editor, Recycle Bin, Sort Search Results, Search Grouped Results, Synchronization, Trigger System, Scripting, Show Entries of Sub-Groups, Auto-Type TCATO, Custom String Fields, Entry History, Group Notes, Windows User Account.