The GnuWin32 project provides Win32-versions of GNU tools, or tools with a similar open source licence. The ports are native ports, that is they rely only on libraries provided with any standard 32-bits MS-Windows operating system. Native ports do not rely on some kind of Unix emulation, such as CygWin or Msys, so that there is no need to install additional emulation libraries. At present, all developments have been done under MS-Windows-XP, using the Mingw port of the GNU C and C++ (GCC) compilers. Utilities and libraries provided by GnuWin32, are used and distributed with packages such as GNU Emacs and KDE-Windows.
The packages that have been ported, fall into four broad categories:
* GNU utilities: bc, bison, chess, compface, cpio, coreutils (fileutils, sh-utils, stat, textutils), diffutils, doschk, ed, findutils, flex, gawk, gdbm, gcal, gengetopt, gettext, gperf, grep, groff, gsl, gzip, hello, help2man, iconv, jwhois, less, m4, miscfiles, patch, readline, regex, rx, sed, sharutils, tar, texinfo, tree, units, unrtf, wget, which
* Archivers and compressors: arc, arj, bsdtar, bzip2, gzip, lha, libarchive, unzip / zip, zlib
* Other utilities: byacc, cpuid, cygutils, file, ntfsprogs, openssl, pcre, popt, re2c, rpl, sgrep, tree, x86info
* Graphics packages: asciichart, compface, gd, jpeg, jbigkit, liburt, libungif, libpng and png utilities, libwmf, netpbm, piechart, plotutils, tiff, xpm, zimg
* Textprocessing- and postscript-related packages: a2ps, barcode, bm2font, deroff, dvidj, enscript, freetype, grap, gri, groff, indent, libxml, nenscript, pdflib, polyglotman, psutils, scribe2latex, src-highlite, t1lib, t1utils, troff2latex, ttf2pt1, unrtf
* Mathematical and statistical packages: bc, calc, crypt, fdlibm, gsl, units
Some other characteristics of GnuWin32 are:
* Always provides the source, which usually is also required by the license of the original package, with any changes from the original source in the form of a diff.
* Always provides the documentation in a 'compiled' form, i.e. as PDF, HTML, PS, DVI, CHM, and HLP.
* Provides import libraries for MSVC and BCC wherever possible.