VBdocman is a program for automatic generating of technical documentation from your Visual Basic source files with just few mouse clicks. It parses source code and automatically creates table of contents, index, topics, cross-references and context sensitive help. The format of output documentation is fully configurable by user. The predefined output formats are:
- HTML Help (*.chm file which looks like MSDN)
- HTML files (with Java index and table of contents)
- WinHelp (*.hlp file)
- RTF document
VBdocman works as an add-in into MS Visual Basic 6.0. After invoking simple dialog through main menu and (in the simplest case) clicking one button the specified output documentation is generated. It automatically creates all interesting links such as Applies To, Methods, Events, Properties, Events, table of contents and index. In greater projects only this work saves many days of boring work. Documentation can be then edited and additional description given there such as See Also, Examples links, object, method, property or event description, parameters description and so on. VBdocman allows to add even that description automatically by extracting it from source code comment from special tags. It works similarly as JavaDoc system. But, user is not forced to write comments manually, VBdocman adds it itself just by two mouse clicks. All necessary tags are added and user then fills just short description to them. In addition, it provides sophisticated user-friendly comment editor.
- Consistency. If something was added to code e.g. new method, it is automatically reflected in newly generated documentation.
- Documentation in various formats can be generated by few mouse clicks. So you have documentation in all supported formats in few minutes.
- Efficient communication within the team, especially when Source Safe is used. Every programmer comments his part of code.