Based on a powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on.
Here are the features of Notepad++ :
* Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
If you have a colour printer, print your source code (or whatever you want) in colour.
* User Defined Syntax Highlighting
It allows user to define his own language: not only the syntax highlighting keywords, but also the syntax folding keywords, comment keywords and the operators.
That means you can visualize (edit) 2 different documents at the same time
* Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
* Full Drag 'N' Drop supported
* Dynamic position of Views
* File Status Auto-detection
If you modify or delete a file which opened in Notepad++, you will be notified to update your document
* Zoom in and zoom out
* Multi-Language environment supported
* Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
* Macro recording and playback