Divorced and want to change child surname?

1020 Views  ⚫  Asked 7 Years Ago
asked on Jan 12, 2011 at 15:04
by   Colip
edited on Aug 18, 2017 at 08:01
I am a Malaysia and have been divorced about 3 years plus. I hold the child custody right. The child is 5 years old and is with me everyday. My ex-husband will pay for child maintenance fee every month. He can visit the child once a week for 2 hours.

My question is:
Can I change my child's surname to either follow my surname or my current husband surname? May I know if that is possible?

Please advise.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
5 Answers

answered on Jan 13, 2011 at 21:22
by   jameshood
edited Aug 18, 2017 at 07:51
Give me some more info.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 13, 2011 at 22:33
by   colip
edited Aug 18, 2017 at 07:56
I request or claim for child medical fee from him but he doesn't want to pay. He is only paying the monthly maintenance fee for the child. I no longer communicate with my ex-husband except once a week once for him to visit the son.

If lets say I plan to move far away from him and he is unable to visit the son, does he has the right to sue me? And how about I request to change of my child's surname?

Please advise thanks.
0 found this helpful

answered on Mar 28, 2012 at 16:01
by   mother
edited Aug 18, 2017 at 07:57
I would like to know the answer to Colip's question as I am facing the same issue.

I am a divorcee holding my girl's custody. Ex-husband does transfer my daughter's monthly maintenance fee but isn't visiting her. I would like to change my girl's surname to mine. Is it possible in Malaysia? And I do not need to get his consent of doing this right?
0 found this helpful

answered on Mar 28, 2012 at 16:29
by   yeecw
edited Aug 18, 2017 at 07:58

You may change his name appear on his identity card (NRIC) by making a sworn declaration. For more info, ask your nearest Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN). However, his name appear on birth cert is not possible to be changed. With regard to the medical fee and right of visit, it depends on the terms concluded in your divorce petition. If anyone of you breaches any terms, the other party deserves the right to sue.
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 1, 2017 at 20:53
by   Alexander
edited Aug 18, 2017 at 07:59
May I know whether a child age 1 year old and above can still change his surname on birth certificate or MyKID card?
0 found this helpful

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.