Muslim and Non-Muslim Marriage

10699 Views  ⚫  Asked 12 Years Ago
asked on Feb 14, 2006 at 04:50
by   nillwong
edited on Jul 15, 2016 at 03:36
It is commonly understood that, in Malaysia, when a non-Muslim marries to a Muslim, the former must be converted to Muslim, regardless whether a husband or a wife. However, I would like to find out a little more about foreigner situations.

(1) If a husband from People's Republic of China intend to marry to a Malaysian Muslim wife, and the registration is performed in Malaysia, whether or not, he must be converted to Muslim?

(2) Expending from the above question, if the Muslim wife is not originated from Malaysia, for instance, migration from Indonesia, Arab, China, etc., whether or not the husband and wife are also bound by Malaysia Syariah Law?

(3) Whether a non-Malaysian citizen Muslim, viz. s/he is originated from countries via migration or work permit or marriage to Malaysian Muslim, or other means, is also regulated by Syariah Law, or civil law?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
45 Answers
« Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next »  Last »

answered on Jan 6, 2014 at 18:55
by   vanair
edited Jul 15, 2016 at 05:27

It felt really great to read your post.

I am a Malaysian non-Muslim (atheist) who is deeply in love with a Pakistani National who has lived in Malaysia for over 15 years but carries a passport. She is currently on work permit here in Malaysia. Since we both are atheist we would like to tie the knot without having to convert or what so ever as we have been seeing each other for 4 years now.

Despite we love each other so much, she is starting to loose faith in this relationship due to the time its taken. I really want to marry her but I just don't believe in conversion. One should not be forced to convert!

I really need some advice from you quick. Please help me.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.
0 found this helpful

answered on Mar 20, 2014 at 21:18
by   jhonjason4
edited Jul 15, 2016 at 05:53
In 2005, the new UAE Personal Affairs Law (also a federal law) was promulgated, setting out specific rules for the appointment of heirs and the distribution of a deceased’s estate for both national and non-national Muslims in the UAE. As set out in chapter two of the English translation of this law, “Shares and their Holders”, the method of disposition of a deceased’s estate is quite complicated, and it takes a specialist in Islamic law to determine exactly the amount of each particular estate that an individual heir would receive.

As an example, if a deceased was married, with one son and one daughter, the entire estate could be distributed as follows: one-sixth of the entire estate would be awarded to the wife, with two-thirds of the remainder to the son and one-third to the daughter. Some property investors may find it difficult to accept such a distribution of their real estate assets, and so they should seek legal advice.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jun 29, 2014 at 22:34
by   YyanYeong
edited Jul 15, 2016 at 05:28

Can I get more information about your marriage in Singapore and how your kids can be an Non-Muslim in Malaysia? Thank you so much.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jun 30, 2014 at 14:51
by   J4Fesq
edited Jul 15, 2016 at 05:58
Love is in the air..

If need to marry, do so in more liberal countries but not in Malaysia.

If want to have child, don't marry in Malaysia. Only the very rich can do so, hide in private condos and international schools.

Think of the child legal status. It will be a big issue next time, please take note that Muslim men (even new converts) can marry 4 times legally with permission from other wives, some don't even need, just go over to more liberal Muslim countries to marry again..

Think for your future child before making your drastic move. When or if you still want to reside in Malaysia, please do it the Malaysian way, legally, for your child sake!
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 17, 2014 at 14:13
by   Hunter
What if a Malaysian Muslim woman had married a foreign non-Muslim in another country and resided there for several years with their children; the kids raised without religion, if the children were to come back to Malaysia and live, would they be considered Muslim? What if the kids wanted to get married to a Malaysian non-Muslim, can they get married in a non-Muslim ceremony? Would the spouse to be have to convert?
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 17, 2014 at 23:07
by   dun come here
edited Jul 15, 2016 at 06:08
Simple solution...

Non-Muslim children, follow civil law...

Muslim wife and non-Muslim husband, if come back, don't stay in hotels, can stay in same house but not in same room, otherwise can be charged under Muslim laws if someone poke or stab your back. If caught under newly proposed Huduh Law, woman can be stoned, and man has to convert and be ... However, the current Shariah Law has no jurisdiction to sentence non-Muslim.

If in doubt, follow law of the jungle..
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 17, 2014 at 23:39
by   Non Muslim Msian
edited Jul 15, 2016 at 06:13

If Jane is a Muslim, even Tarzan and all their children have to convert and have new Muslim names.

When in Malaysia, please do as most Malaysians do, and respect the Muslim Laws in this country. Let Malaysian non-muslims live in peace and harmony with all the ulamas, utazs, and Muslim brothers and sisters.

Otherwise please stay wherever you are and enjoy the freedom there. The grass is never greener on the other side.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 22, 2014 at 13:48
by   Hunter
So if the children are stated as non-Muslim in the other country that they were born in, means when they come back to Malaysia, they are non-Muslim too and only bounded by civil law?
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 23, 2014 at 21:46
by   apa lagi u mau
edited Jul 15, 2016 at 06:17

What do you mean come back? For good?

Apply for citizenship? You need to prove one of your parents is Malaysian. Submit both parents status..

Children marry non-Muslim, no problem, unless children are very clever to inform people they managed to by pass Syariah Laws or the mother wear a 'tudung' for the wedding ceremonies or dinner functions and get captured on television, press, photos.. then in the middle of the dinner or ceremony, the Syariah police will arrest the Muslim mother..

If you want to come back to Malaysia to stay for good, the husband and his children have to convert.

Please follow Malaysian Laws if you want reside here..

Welcome to BolehLand!
0 found this helpful

answered on Oct 22, 2014 at 20:36
by   FindingHope
edited Jul 15, 2016 at 05:55

I'm looking for some advise badly. Having this problem too. Not sure how did you manage to go pass that, but really interested to know more. Thank you.
0 found this helpful

« Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next »  Last »

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.