Single mother, unmarried parents has a baby

16101 Views  ⚫  Asked 13 Years Ago
asked on May 22, 2005 at 03:46
by   Jolin
edited on Jun 6, 2018 at 05:43
I am single, Chinese girl and I have some questions as below:

1. If I am not married, can I still get the birth certificate for new born baby?
2. Can the father's name to be listed in the birth certificate for new born baby since we are unmarried parents?
3. If the father is a foreigner, what are the procedure and documents needed to get the birth certificate for new born baby?
4. If I register the baby in Malaysia and the father is a foreigner, will the baby become a Malaysia citizen or obtain the citizenship of the father? Or dual citizenship?
5. If the mother is not married and has baby, what is the marital status for the mother? Is she still considered single or otherwise?
6. Will the baby face any problem in the future for example study and anything else because the parents of the baby are not married?
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
86 Answers
« Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next »  Last »

answered on Aug 20, 2013 at 03:51
by   samantha
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:41
I have done a case whereby we managed to put the father's name in the birth certificate. However the baby will be classified as Section 13 baby, meaning 'illegitimate baby' unless both biological parents get married.

As to Bella, it is possible for you to get a divorce and re-married so that your baby can be a legitimate child. Do note that the biological father does not have rights on the illegitimate child. The child has no rights to the father's estate unless mention otherwise in the will. Thus, it is best to file a divorce petition as soon as possible.
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 27, 2013 at 13:56
by   Confused
I m 32 years old female and was going out with a foreigner for 3 months.. I got pregnant despite using protection.. The father of the child in the beginning when I told him wanted to keep the child and pay child support and agree to support me throughout pregnancy (checkups and other misallaneous) but I found out that his living with another local women whose paying for his support here in Malaysia.. What are my legal options? Now he is threaten to lodge a report if I abort the child and I suspect this is a scam.. I'm not ready to be mother but I wana move legally towards this couple..
0 found this helpful

answered on Oct 15, 2013 at 20:15
by   oliver
I am a Malaysian Chinese, male and single; currently working overseas.  I would like to seek help/advice for the questions I have:

• What do I need to do as I am thinking of adopting a kid from Malaysia?
• What is the success rate for adopting a kid as a single?
• Any recommended orphanage where I can approach for adopting?
• If the adoption is successful, can I appoint a guardian (who is a foreigner) for my adopted kid?
• What is the requirement and legal procedure of appointing a foreigner guardian?

Your kind assistance, guidance and clarification on the queries is much appreciated.

MANY Thanks.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 11, 2015 at 07:17
by   josie
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:43
My friend is pregnant and her boyfriend was filing divorce with his wife. Unfortunately the boyfriend passed away in a accident last month. The question is can my friend put the boyfriend's name as father's name in the birth certificate upon the child birth somewhere in April this year? What documents will be needed?
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 4, 2016 at 11:48
by   Echo
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:45
I'm from Philippines. I married a Chinese and we are staying in China. We have a son. Can we give him English name or have to be Chinese name? Can the baby follow my last name or the mother?  
0 found this helpful

answered on Jun 23, 2016 at 19:19
by   Worried dad
edited Jun 28, 2016 at 06:05
I'm the biological father to my son. However, my so-called wife now has not divorce with his husband. After my son was born, he's registered by her ex-husband and was given the surname of her husband. Given that they have not divorce and we are not married, is it possible or legal to change my son's surname to mine?. My 'wife' is a foreigner while I'm Malaysian. Is there any complications in doing that and would it affect my son to have another birth certificate or his future studies? What are the steps to follow? Please advise me. Thanks.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jun 28, 2016 at 08:21
by   Yash
edited Aug 8, 2016 at 08:45
I'm a foreigner married Malaysian Chinese, I'm pregnant now, is it possible to use my family name rather than using my husband family name upon registration of the child? If so, will the child follow the father's citizenship as Malaysian still?
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 8, 2016 at 06:48
by   Unmarried Mum
edited Aug 8, 2016 at 08:48
That's NOT TRUE, Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN) doesn't accept father's name in the birth certificate if no marriage certificate. At the counter when they check all documents they will ask for your marriage certificate, just say not married nothing happens, OK! As long as any guy willing to pen down and sign his name will be there. 
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 11, 2016 at 14:10
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 11, 2016 at 14:38
by   jeff005
edited Aug 11, 2016 at 15:10
by   jeff005
@ unknown

You sure need help


you have not giving any details that can be of any use here

Start a new post and give more details esp on

1. whether you are legally married to him

2. Is the father's name on the birth cert of the child

3. Are you a foreigner?

4. If yes, have you got a valid visa to remain in Malaysia? (To fight in court with the man)

There are ways to make this man be responsible for the future welfare of this child
..... pls answer the above Q's first.

Start on a new post.

If you have personal reasons not to start a new post, email me and I shall teach you how to start a new post. You must have a valid email address.
0 found this helpful

« Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next »  Last »

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.