Single mother, unmarried parents has a baby

24002 Views  ⚫  Asked 15 Years Ago
asked on May 22, 2005 at 03:46
edited on Jun 6, 2018 at 05:43
I am single, Chinese girl and I have some questions as below:

1. If I am not married, can I still get the birth certificate for new born baby?
2. Can the father's name to be listed in the birth certificate for new born baby since we are unmarried parents?
3. If the father is a foreigner, what are the procedure and documents needed to get the birth certificate for new born baby?
4. If I register the baby in Malaysia and the father is a foreigner, will the baby become a Malaysia citizen or obtain the citizenship of the father? Or dual citizenship?
5. If the mother is not married and has baby, what is the marital status for the mother? Is she still considered single or otherwise?
6. Will the baby face any problem in the future for example study and anything else because the parents of the baby are not married?
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
90 Answers
« Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next »  Last »

answered on Jun 28, 2010 at 22:29
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:09
I'm a Chinese gal, pregnant but unmarried. The father's name will not be in the baby's birth certificate, but I'm wondering, if my name is Gan Kah Yee & his name is Shawn Joseph Sadler, can I name my baby following the Western's way (first name, middle name, last name), eg. Cheryl Marie Sadler?

I just registered my child, am single and my child's birth certificate doesn't have the father's name too.

According to the registrar, YES, you can name the child something different. However, there are certain names, for example, Puteri, Raja, Tunku..etc.. you can't use. As for you, yes, your gal can have his father's surname if you want.

As for me, I opt to leave it out. If in the end, the guy decides to marry you, he can officially adopt the child and have his name officially in.
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 6, 2010 at 15:48
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:10
What would happen if:

the single mother (Christian) wants to put the father name in the baby birth cert but he is a Muslim (British citizenship)? Is that possible? The mother name still remain Christian? or the baby has to be registered Muslim?
0 found this helpful

answered on Dec 27, 2011 at 21:58
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:11
I am a single mother and I have two kids from a Muslim father. That time I was Christians. Both my kids have BC and my kid with no father's name attached-JPN rule-no marriage cert no father's name.

I converted thinking there would be better outcome but no.

Now stuck-to. All single mother's especially if the father is a Muslim man, don't convert yet. Hell lot of problems later. Don't get conned into thinking they will help nothing is rosy and their help is nothing like the other non-Muslim group. I hope you take this reminder. Schooling will be no problem but be prepared to get mocked especially if you're planning to convert. Its better you lay low, join women groups to open your mind and learn before your kids gets older. Every penny counts.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 5, 2012 at 21:25
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:15
I'm Chinese Malaysian, I have few question that's bothering me. Hope you guy can help me.

I'm single not marriage, my husband is also a Chinese but he not yet divorced, it seem to be difficult for him to make this steps, so I don't want him to make this decision. I will still be with him for few years... Now I wish to get pregnant and have our own baby but I am worried. Can you all please advise me what is the best solution?

1. Can my baby's birth certificate be able to fill the father's name column with his name without any marriage certificate?
2. What is the procedure I need to follow?
3. Is there any future problem my husband or my baby will get it?
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 29, 2012 at 04:24
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:17
According to JPN website, FAQ's section, father's name is allowed to be put in the birth cert provided both mother and father need to attend during registration birth cert for the baby and father needs to declare the baby belongs to him under some act.

Yuki, same as you, I am also looking for what future problems will face by the baby and the father, for example, nationality of the baby.
0 found this helpful

answered on May 5, 2012 at 04:42
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:21
I am a foreign woman married to Malaysian Indian. My son is 11 months old and still not registered.

We decided to divorce and my husband wants to go to court for the custody for our son.
I went through lots of websites to try to find this information but didn't find any similar case.

My question is:
1. Can I NOT add father's name into birth certificate being married to local?

2. I do not want my son have Malaysian citizenship and I don't care if father's column in birth certificate will be blank.

Please help as I'm about to loose the custody.
0 found this helpful

answered on May 12, 2012 at 09:50
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:25
I am a Sarawakian (non-Muslims). My husband and I were married on 14.6.2010 through Iban ethnic wedding traditions called 'beterang' but we have not register our marriage yet because both of us still studying at that time. Now I'm pregnant (after graduation) and we want to register our marriage but I have some questions:

1. Is the wedding date on marriage certificate based on the actual date of marriage (14.6.2010) or on the date of marriage certificate is registered with JPN?
2. If the date on the marriage certificate is this year, what is the status of my baby? Is the baby considered an illegitimate child?
0 found this helpful

answered on May 28, 2012 at 08:44
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:29
I have a daughter born out of wedlock. She was born on independence day 31/08/12. Me and my girlfriend planned to marry soon after she was born. As it turned to be, my wife had gone back to her home country (Philippines). It had been 2 months without contact and we haven't register our daughter. But what I am seeking is how to register my daughter. Its about her future and her education. And I wish she will have better life and opportunity than what I had. Please advise us.

Concerned dad
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 28, 2013 at 23:32
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:36
Without a marriage certificate JPN will not accept father's name on the birth certificate. From my knowledge and experience with other single unwed moms, we have been fighting for this a long long time.

You CAN REGISTER your child yourself as soon as you deliver, just bring the private clinic or GH/ Klinik Ibu dan Anak card together with required documents. They will call you in for a short interview to make sure you gave birth to that child and its not a smuggled/trafficked baby.

Next when you can't provide the marriage cert you can state you are not married.

Immediately father's section will be blank and stated as 'tiada maklumat' even if you wish to have his name but since there is no marriage cert and to prevent "pak sanggup or any tom dick and harry's name" on the card they prefer to leave it as 'tiada maklumat'.

The child will be classified as according to your race, your religion and you have full custody. Legally that child's affairs is under your care and your approval. As they reach 6 years, register into any government school and of course there will be "busybody" "holier than thou" people around. By law, you can register your child into standard 1. Explain some details only to class teachers, explain to your child. Any further question ask friends, teachers, to call you.

In this country it is hard to get the father's name on the birth certificate, you cannot get child support (yet), you cannot apply for PPR housing because you are single not married or divorce. Life will be single but not available status. Keep your chin up, don't wallow in sorrow, shame guilt (you have to pass that stage), don't get carried away with gossips, culture and social discrimination. Get a job, get child in daycare, later get them into activities to keep them occupied. Also get involved in women's group just to keep you on your toes. You must participate so we can make that small change of getting the bloody name on the birth certificate and getting child support from the biological father.

You can contact me through Wibawa Women FB page. I will be glad to lend you a shoulder. Right now, you must be strong and get the documentation right, get financially stable before you go into any court battle, get the right people to be your safety net. You may not get the help you need but with the right group we an fight this.
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 14, 2013 at 06:26
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 13:38
I am still married and not yet divorced with my husband. I am already separated from him for 3 years now as I don't know his whereabouts. Currently I am in a relationship with a foreigner and I got pregnant.

1. I want to know if I deliver the baby in Malaysia, will the father's name in birth certificate be stated my ex husband's name or can be left blank?
0 found this helpful

« Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next »  Last »

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions by category or search to find answers.