Single mother, unmarried parents has a baby

24269 Views  ⚫  Asked 15 Years Ago
asked on May 22, 2005 at 03:46
edited on Jun 6, 2018 at 05:43
I am single, Chinese girl and I have some questions as below:

1. If I am not married, can I still get the birth certificate for new born baby?
2. Can the father's name to be listed in the birth certificate for new born baby since we are unmarried parents?
3. If the father is a foreigner, what are the procedure and documents needed to get the birth certificate for new born baby?
4. If I register the baby in Malaysia and the father is a foreigner, will the baby become a Malaysia citizen or obtain the citizenship of the father? Or dual citizenship?
5. If the mother is not married and has baby, what is the marital status for the mother? Is she still considered single or otherwise?
6. Will the baby face any problem in the future for example study and anything else because the parents of the baby are not married?
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
90 Answers
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next »  Last »

answered on Jun 13, 2005 at 00:24
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 12:40
1. Yes you can get a birth cert for your baby in Malaysia.
2. Yes the father can be named in the birth cert.
3. Father is foreigner, attach a copy of his passport and he needs to sign on the birth cert registration form to declare that he is the father.
4. Your baby will considered a Malaysian citizenship and the baby will get a Malaysian birth cert. Malaysia now only allow to have one nationality, not dual anymore.
5. The mother is still considered single, only the baby is considered "a child born out of wedlock". The baby is still able to go to school later and get an Identity Card (IC).
6. No.
1 found this helpful

answered on Jun 13, 2005 at 03:21
Be Careful to avoid future problems:

1. Birth Cert.? Yes.
2. Father's Name? Yes.
3. Need declaration or you can still Register your marriage NOW.
4. The baby will follow the Father's Citizenship; NOT the Mother's. The child can apply for PR first to follow the Mother's Custody and later Malaysian Citizenship.
5. Unmarried Mother or Single-Mother/Parent; BUT NO MORE SINGLE STATUS.
6. Your child can go school.

If in doubt, you should get clarifications and confirmations from:

1. The Registrar of Birth & Death.
2. The National Reistration Department.
3. The Immigration Department.

Best wishes.
1 found this helpful

answered on Oct 24, 2007 at 21:47
There seems to be some conflict in the question of citizenship of the baby (Point 4). Is there anyway to confirm whether baby will be malaysian or follows the nationality of the father? I am in the same situation and it's critical for me to find out if the baby's nationality will follow the father (a foreigner) or me?

Thank you
0 found this helpful

answered on Mar 27, 2008 at 21:37
What if we do not want the Father's name in the Birth Cert?
0 found this helpful

answered on Mar 28, 2008 at 20:46
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 12:45
For all the questions above, as long as the mother:

* is a Malaysian and the baby born in Malaysia
* it does NOT matter whether the mother is lawfully married or not
* with or without the father's name in the baby's birth cert,

the baby consort to be a Malaysian.

You able to do so. NOTHING happen.s
0 found this helpful

answered on Jun 19, 2009 at 20:27
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 12:47
I would also like to check and confirm...
If the father and mother are not married, the father's name can still be put into the birth cert here in Malaysia?
0 found this helpful

answered on Jun 29, 2009 at 21:20
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 12:49
I understood that the questions and answers have been posted and replied quite some times ago thus am wondering if anything have change...

I'm a 26 years old Chinese young woman with a stable career. As I am now pregnant, I am wondering along hoping for some answers to questions no.1 & 6 especially if I have decided to exclude the father's name from my child's birth certificate.

Aside from that, I have a few other questions as well:

1. Did my company reserves the right to terminate my employment due to my unmarried status?
2. Will it be better for my child if I've listed the father's name in the birth certificate - for the baby's future if nothing else?
3. Assuming I've included the father's name:-
a. Will it become a complication should the father decides to marry someone else in the future?
b. Will it creates any complication to his current marriage if the father is already a married individual(to another person)?
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 19, 2009 at 19:28
Dear Worried Mother,

1. No.
2. It might be better, but to do that the father must be present at the registration. Or else the father's name will be blank. ( Tiada maklumat ).
3.a. No.
3.b. No.

It might create a complication only when the father dies, because the child can claim inheritance of the father's assets.
0 found this helpful

answered on Sep 10, 2009 at 17:16
edited Apr 8, 2016 at 12:53
I am a single mother with an 11 months baby girl. I'm now separated with my partner who is the father of the child. We were never married, but his name is on the birth cert of my baby. The important things I need to know are:

* Do I get full custody of the baby even though his name is stated as a father on the birth cert?
* Will he, by any chance fight for his right for the custody?
* Will he gets his right for the child?
0 found this helpful

answered on Sep 10, 2009 at 17:32
Normally Malaysian courts will grant custody to the mother if the child is young (less than 12 years) unless the mother is unemployed or drug addict.
You can also cut all contacts so he cannot find you and the kid.
0 found this helpful

 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next »  Last »

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions by category or search to find answers.