Marriage: Single status confirmation

2836 Views  ⚫  Asked 20 Years Ago
asked on Apr 24, 2001 at 06:48
edited on Feb 20, 2018 at 04:11
I am checking on behalf of a friend (Malaysian), who is being deprived from getting married for many years.

According to her, when she applied work permit in Singapore, by mistake her marital status was keyed in Married when actually she is not married. Now that she wants to get married with a Singaporean man. Many attempts, it was rejected. Singapore
Registry of Marriages (ROM) wants her to produce evidence that she was not married. She does not know where to get and how to get. How can she get proof and can I help her to write to Malaysia Marriage Department and and what is the address. She is illiterate. She felt so helpless. Please help!
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
4 Answers

answered on Apr 24, 2001 at 15:30
edited Feb 20, 2018 at 04:21
Your friend should get a certificate of self status from the Marriage Department of Malaysia certifying that she is not registered with the Malaysia Marriage Department thus still single.

Which state is your friend in? Anywhere she should contact the nearest Marriage Department which is a section of the Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN) or Registration Department.

Here goes the headoffice address:

Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara Malaysia
(Bahagian Perkhawinan)
Putrajaya, Kementerian Dalam Negeri
No 20, Persiaran Perdana, Presint 2
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan
62551 Putrajaya

Telephone: 03-88808134/8133
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 29, 2001 at 05:40
Your friend needed to fill in a form together attached with a Statutory Declaration which is saying that she is still an unmarried woman/lady, and the Statutory Declaration needs to be attested in front of either Registered Notary Public or Commissioner for Oaths for apply for the Certificate of Status from the Registrar Department. It would be helpful for her marriage.

If I am not mistaken, your friend needed to go to the Headquarter of Registrar Department (Petaling Jaya one) to proceed this procedure. The application fee for the form is RM 10.

I have a sample of SD, if your friend needed it, don't be hesitate to ask from me.

Good luck.
0 found this helpful

answered on Oct 23, 2009 at 22:41
edited Feb 20, 2018 at 04:25
My fiancee is from Malaysia (Pontian) and I am from Indonesia. Both of us are working in Singapore. We would like to get married and I need to register my marriage in Indonesia but I need a single status letter from Malaysia. Can you advice me what should I do?

I already called the Malaysian High Commission in Singapore and they said that they can't provide this Single Status Letter. So can I do a cover letter and a Statutory of Declaration of Single Status certified by the Singapore Registered Notary Public? And then fill in the KC_09 form plus photocopy of his passport and Malaysian IC and send this to:

JPN Bahagian Perkahwinan/Penceraian
Aras 1 No. 20
Persiaran Perdana
Presint 2
62551 W.P. Putrajaya

I just want to save the hassle of going down to Kuala Lumpur to get this done.

Thank you again for the advice.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 26, 2018 at 06:15
My friend is born in Malaysia and taken  to Canada. She was forcefully taken from Malaysia as a child. 
She was 17 years old then, she is now much older. 

It has been confirmed no passport issued to her either. Her story needs to be substantiated because she was taken to Canada in the 1980s 

Her name was altered in Canada in 1982. The government of Canada 2017 confirmed she never changed her name in Canada..Her real identity, name, marital status all needs to be confirmed as she is unable to confirm this Malaysia information in Canada. 

How can she get assistance for this matter please. She obtained her birth cert recently, but needs confirmation that no name change or marriage was done in Malaysia when she was 17 years old.

Malaysia age of majority law is in force, where only when a person is 21 years old, they can marry , change their name and obtain a passport on their own. She was 17 years old and abducted 
0 found this helpful

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions by category or search to find answers.