Spouse visa to live and work in Malaysia

18879 Views  ⚫  Asked 6 Years Ago
asked on Feb 8, 2012 at 19:52
edited on Apr 11, 2016 at 08:48
I am a Malaysian. My boyfriend in currently in the USA. Can my boyfriend come to Malaysia and marry me and then go to the Immigration Office to apply for a spouse visa to live and work in Malaysia as he wants to live and work in Malaysia? Can Malaysian companies employ him with the visa given by Immigration Department to work here?

Please advise how long does it take to get approval for the spouse visa from the Immigration Department and is the visa renewable yearly or every 6 months?

My boyfriend has a son aged 12-year old. Can his young son get a visa to study here in Malaysia in an International school? Can his young son stay in Malaysia with me and his father?

Please advise. Kind Regards.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
37 Answers
« Previous   1   2   3   4   Next »  Last »

answered on Aug 6, 2014 at 17:52
edited Apr 11, 2016 at 09:26
I am getting married to a Sabahan girl next month and I have all the necessary documents to fulfill registration of marriage and what not. However since I desire to reside in Malaysia I also have the need to be able to work in Malaysia. However some information from an officer in Putrajaya stated that I cant work on my initial 6 months trial and I can work from my 2nd extension of 1 year they provide.

My question here are:
1. Is the above true?
2. And if so, is there another way to work around this? (forms to fill, anything to pay etc)
0 found this helpful

answered on Nov 3, 2014 at 19:47
edited Apr 11, 2016 at 09:41
You can follow these links. It tells about how you can work during those initial 6-months periods.

Long Term Social Visit Pass Malaysia

Expatriates living in Malaysia and married to Malaysian can apply for a long term social visit pass (LTSVP). It was formerly known as spouse visa. The LTSVP was recently revised to grant them a multiple entry visa for a period of up to 5 years, and allows them to work in Malaysia without having to convert their visa to a working visa. To do so, they first need to apply for the LTSVP itself, then apply for a LTSVP work endorsement.

LTSVP Application Process

The process was simplified in 2010, and is now quite straight forward.

Expatriates and their spouse can go to their nearest "pass and permit division" of their state immigration office with the following documents:

- Form Imm 12 (2 copies)
- Form Imm 55 (2 copies)
- Form Imm 38 (2 copies)
- Marriage certificates (Malaysian & Foreign if you married abroad) - originals and copy
- Statutory Declaration the marriage is still valid - certified by commissioner of oath (there is one in the Jalan Duta centre that can be used)
- Security Bond - RM10 to get from income tax (Jalan Duta for KL)
- Original and copy of passport of Malaysian spouse (all pages)
- Original and copy of Mykad of Malaysian spouse (all pages)
- Original and copy of passport of expatriate spouse (all pages)
- 2 passport photo of Malaysian spouse
- 2 passport photo of expatriate spouse
- A wedding photo with both spouse on (preferably from the Malaysian wedding ceremony)
- Original ID and passports for both spouse
- Original and copy of Wedding and Divorce certs if either party were previously married

If you live in KL or Selangor, the new Immigration Office is located near Publika / Solaris Dutamas on Jalan Duta. The exact address is 69 Jalan Sri Hartamas 1. The building say "KDN" on it (Kementerian Dalam Negeri). There is free parking for visitors at the back of the building.

Your first visit should be treated as reconnaissance where you collect information and the forms 12, 55 and 38. Once you prepared all the documents, you can come back for the submission which should take no more than a couple of hours. Your Malaysian spouse need to be there so the immigration officer can process the application. Should everything be in order, you will be asked to come back two days later with your passport to pay for your visa and endorse it. Your spouse does not have to be present this time around. This process takes slightly longer as you have to pay for your Security Bond fee (the fee itself depend on your country of passport and is refundable when you leave Malaysia for good).

The initial visa usually runs for a period of six months. The LTSVP renewal process is then much simpler, and visas will be for a period of one to five years. Some LTSVP holder have reported obtaining five years visa from their first application.

LTSVP work endorsement

Expatriates living in Malaysia under a a long term social visit pass (LTSVP) are allowed to work under the new program.

Please note that this option is only available to spouses of Malaysian citizens, not other LTSVP holders.

When first  issued, the pass will state "Any form of employment is strictly prohibited". Don't be intimidated by this statement, it can be amended if you follow the procedure here under.

LTSVP Application Process

To remove this you need to go to your nearest "pass and permit division" of your state immigration office to collect the appropriate form. If you want to do it in one go, you need to prepare the following documents:

- Passport of applicant
- IC of Malaysian spouse
- Resume/CV
- Job offer letter
- Stamped employment contract (Stamp Duty 10RM)
- Company forms 9, 24 & 49 - to be provided by your employer
- Company License - for certain industry only
- Letter of application (I took this to mean a letter to immigration applying to be allowed to work)
- Letter from husband if Malaysian citizen is male, then need letter to allow female spouse to work
- Last but not least, you need to fill in the form provided by the immigration

Note - there is no charge for updating your LTSVP to "working status".

It is recommended for the Malaysian spouse to tag.

Once you submit the documents it takes 3 working days to process.

Your passport will then be updated with an additional page of text stating that you are allowed to work.

If you are in the process of renewing your LTSVP, bring along a copy of your employment contract to submit with your LTSVP renewal application, in the event that it is asked for. Ensure that your employment contract has the "Stamp Duty" stamp on it, rendering it legal.

Hope so it will be helpful for many people.
0 found this helpful

answered on Feb 8, 2015 at 02:19
edited Apr 11, 2016 at 09:30
I also have a question regarding same topic. I have been working and staying in Malaysia for last 3+ years.

It is very difficult for my spouse to get a job here as she is on Dependent Pass. However, recently someone told me about two things through which she could be able to get a job without even having a work permit:

1- If I obtain 10 years Work Visa from my company and 10 years Dependent pass for my wife then she could work without Work Visa in Malaysia.

2- If my monthly salary is RM12k+ then also through some Immigration approval she could work and we don't need to process work visa.

I read that at present also she can work if certain authorities approves her Application to work but the problem is she is not getting any offer from a company which is MSC level etc. And issue is that small firms are either not ready to process her Work Visa (due to salary reason) or unable to process Dependent Work Application because they are not approved by MSC MDAC etc.

Kindly help me if the above two mentioned processes are correct and legal?

0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 8, 2016 at 13:51
edited Apr 11, 2016 at 09:29
For the trial of 6 months spouse visa, can we travel abroad? Just 2 - 3 weeks vacation in Vietnam.

Now my situation is I have already renewed the visa for second times (3 months each), and they are saying that the third times will open her account (not sure what is it). So at the same month we are planning to go back to her hometown. So I am just wondering will there be any problem if we travel overseas during trial period? Thank you very much.
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 21, 2016 at 14:08
edited May 16, 2016 at 06:17
I have a question involving the offer letter by the company for spouse employment pass. If the contract or offer letter is given by ABC Sdn Bhd, then under the tab of 'With:' in the employment pass, will there be the name of the company? or it will be as spouses' name?
0 found this helpful

answered on May 5, 2016 at 03:38
edited May 16, 2016 at 06:18
How much is the spouse visa?
And how many months, years is the spouse visa?
0 found this helpful

answered on May 20, 2016 at 15:42
I have been married to a Malaysian for the last 8 years. But I have always lived abroad with my wife and the kids. Now I am planning to settle in Malaysia. I have recently got a job offer and yesterday I went to the Immigration department for the application of my social visit pass. I was told that I have to wait a year after I receive the social visit pass to be able to work in Malaysia. This is in contradiction to what I read on their website and what they told me earlier on when I checked via phone. I would really appreciate if anyone could help me. 
NB: I do not have any criminal records and I am from the Maldives.
0 found this helpful

answered on May 20, 2016 at 16:39
edited May 20, 2016 at 16:42
by   jeff005
Please start a new post.

Your situation is very interesting as a topic for discussion here.

Your new post can should contain the following details if possible.
1. Your country of origin
2. Yours and hers religion.
3. Citizenship of your children
4. A link to what you have read on their website with direct reference to their contradictions

I have to wait a year after I receive the social visit pass to be able to work in Malaysia. 
That is correct and what has been practicing all these while. Other nearby countries is same.

This topic interest me as I am going outbound, but applying for different types of visa (at liberty). Malaysian visa applications is a little bit rigid.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 16, 2016 at 23:42
I am a Malaysian woman,married to an Italian and I have a daughter who is holding a British passort. We have been living in England for the last 15 years but recently we decided to go and live in Malaysia for good. My husband plan wanted to open a restaurant but I am a bit curious about his and our daughter visa to live in Malaysia. What is the procedure? and can them both apply for visa to stay in malaysia? Please help

Thank you
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 17, 2016 at 01:21
I'm an Indian national and my wife is Malaysian , We married on 2014 in Malaysia, The best part is to get married in Malaysia and in future it helps to process any sort of applications concerning you both hassle-free. I have been granted with a 6 month pass in the beginning, following renewal with one year and now with a 5 years visa with no questions. Although the immigration allows you to work on this visa with few requirements , The toughest part is to find a job and convince your employer that you are not depending on them for visa. It take a few hundred attempts to find the person that actually listens and understand your situation.
0 found this helpful

« Previous   1   2   3   4   Next »  Last »

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.