PR for a foreigner married to a Malaysian?

6664 Views  ⚫  Asked 7 Years Ago
asked on Mar 15, 2011 at 18:08
by   Sobeh
edited on Feb 28, 2017 at 03:14
I'm a Syrian married to a Malaysian citizen, and has been under the Spouse Program for over 2 years now. No kids just yet. I have actually been in Malaysia for 10 years now, but carried a student pass before this. My marriage is now 4 years of age.

Now, my problem with the spouse visa is this: although it should carry the same privileges of staying and working in the country with the exception of the yearly renewal, employers in Malaysia do not seem to be aware of that fact. Most of my job interviews are cut short because "you do not have a PR". Even with the working permission clearly stated on my passport, most Malaysian companies do not bother looking past the PR status. The case remains that there will always be a Malaysian or PR holders who has similar qualifications as me, so employers would not bother looking up what is this spouse visa I'm holding. Even the company I'm working for now accepted me only because they said there was a person who joined them earlier with a spouse visa, so luckily they were aware of the steps needed on their end (which are none!).

This is not a small matter, as almost 80% of any job application I submit ends for the reason above. How frustrating it is when you are told that "you are actually qualified, but we can't hire you because you are a foreigner" over and over again? Moreover, what of my kids in the future if my wife passes away? I hope we stay together all our lives, but when kids are involved you must be prepared. My kids should be able to carry the citizenship. Am i then to leave them fending for themselves, or take them out of Malaysia to become foreigners themselves suffering the same ordeal I'm going through?

So, regardless of reasoning, could someone please give a clear picture of how can a foreigner under the spouse program apply for a permanent residency (PR)? So far I was not able to get a single straight answer from the Immigration Dept. officers. Appreciate the help.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
11 Answers
 1   2   Next »  Last »

answered on Mar 31, 2011 at 07:04
by   Anonymous
edited Feb 28, 2017 at 03:19
We are stocked in the same shoe, in fact I have dozens of friends facing similar or different issues as a result of being a foreigner, even though they are married here, it doesn't mean anything to Malaysians sorry to say.

I have been married for 7 years with 3 kids. It's hard to get any helpful information from the immigration here unfortunately.

Needless to say anything because if I were to write my ordeal here, it will make up more than 20 pages and I might end up been black listed as they have done to me in the past when I moved house without any written notification to the Immigration Department -- which I was not even informed that I should do that whenever I move house or change address, I was penalized with my visa renewal application rejected for over a year -- what a harsh penalty without any prior warming or notice whatsoever before. I ended up running to and from Putra Jaya for a very long period not to mention the difficulties in getting the approval after marriage.

So I prefer to shut up and swallow it all.

The bottom line is that I don't feel any sense of belonging here, to make matter worst I am of dark skin color if you get what I mean so probably I will pack up and get my family to Africa where we belong, if my wife don't like it there then I can't help because even if I am here, my business and funding comes from Africa so I have nothing here as some Malaysians in the Immigration Department may think we are here to dig gold, if not for my wife and children I had be gone a long time ago, but I know she will enjoy staying in my country for a long period as hospitality is our thing and she had a taste of it during her several visits in the past, in fact she confessed that we are in love with foreigners more than they do here, so for sure 3 weeks from now we will be heading to Africa for good.

Sorry brother, I can't provide you with any answer... Our problem lays with the system here, too bad.

On the other hand, I met Malaysians in Europe enjoying the freedom there and most of them don't border to be back home and has been there for years and decades because they love it there more than their home, I wish they come back and help change their people's perceptions towards the unfortunates like us.

May you find help along your struggle.
0 found this helpful

answered on Sep 20, 2013 at 18:04
by   PakMal
edited Feb 28, 2017 at 03:25
Please try to understand. Did you get marry for applying PR? What will you get which you don't have now? Your Spouse entitles you to do business, job...even can drive a taxi..which is only for locals, and also allowed to engage in any form of paid employment or in any business or professional occupation without converting the Social Visit Pass to the Employment Pass. Why don't you follow the rules...the rule is... The Applicant had been issued with the Long Term Visit Pass and stayed continuously in Malaysia for a period of five (5) years and; The applicant is required to have one (1) Malaysian sponsor.

Do you hold Spouse visa for last 5 years and even then you did not get PR? Definitely...not! Your marriage may be registered late or you did not get the spouse visa timely...that's why you are so disappointed.

I am also married to a local Malaysian (Malay). I also hold Pakistani Passport. I never complained... I don't care which visa I have...(I have spouse visa)... I only know.. I am paying my taxes every year. I have employed many locals in my company. I am doing very good business. Even I have bought land for my Malaysian wife...For children...they are ours. Whether they opt for Pakistani citizenship or Get keep Malaysian. What you will get if you are PR holder or Malaysian Passport holder? Will you straight go to "Heaven"? Or Allah will forgive you if you don't offer your Solat five times a day which is compulsory on all of Muslims? Did you ever get worry about the place where you have to stay forever? You are worried about a place where you cannot stay more than few years (may 100 years) even then you have to depart to your eternal place. Please cool down... Don't mind... Please think with relax mind... Malaysia is your country. Discharge your responsibility in perfect manners. Be honest in your job/business. Pay taxes.. Obey law of the land... this is your country... Immigration, Perdana Menteri... all are yours... We are ONE... Satu Malaysia. Keep smiling... Give Sadiqa, Offer 5 times Solat, you will get peace in your heart. Then you will not think more about PR... Discharge your duties as a good resident and husband and father.
Just go about forty or sixty years back...most of the current "Malaysians" were also new to Malaysia..but now they are from here...Why are you worried...May Allah bless you all peace and guidance! And may Allah give you opportunity to study Islam and act upon practically..not verbally!
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 28, 2015 at 18:10
by   Mohmd
edited Feb 28, 2017 at 03:28
Dear brothers, it was good to see you comments.

Here I am with different problem. I have a very big problem which causing me and my family many issues. I need you to advise me if you can guys.  I'm trying to register my marriage which I have followed for years and all the doors were closed to my face. I did half of the requirements but still running here and there to get the answer. By the way I have a child which makes me more worry what going to happen for next. So kindly and brotherly help me to finish this step. I don't worry about a PR just want my family grow happily.

Your help will be appreciated . Thanks.
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 30, 2015 at 10:39
by   anonymous
edited Nov 7, 2016 at 09:41
Be careful of bogus agent, best advise is go to Immigration Putrajaya and inquire!
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 5, 2015 at 08:27
by   Someone
edited Feb 28, 2017 at 03:52

Instead of writing a novel be a realistic!

Many foreigners staying here with a valid visa believe will lead you to get a resident pass, followed by citizenship.. I understand why he is worried, same as most foreigners who spent nearly decades here are too.

Get the fact! How about if they just say "We won't renew your visa? You have to leave!"
That's a poor immigration system that doesn't (or perhaps very hard) to accept foreigner as citizen here.. I know people who have gotten theirs and I know people being here after 20 years married, contribute a lot by having business or whatsoever but yet holding visa! This is unfair!

Anyway this won't help for the person who post this thread..

But my advice is just be patient and follow up the requirements.. May be can get your permanent resident (PR) dude..
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 28, 2015 at 12:11
by   Rosie
Malaysia is a small country with finite resources and at 3 million illegals, which many of you here seem to be at one time or another.  Respect our laws. There is no automatic PR or work permits with marriage to Malaysians, Bumi or non Bumis. So go tell your countrymen that fact. This is not US or Europe or Australia.

If you have a PR and nobody wants to hire you, then it is because you are not what they want. I know of dozens of PR holders who work as labourers, technicians and professionals. A few of foreigners convert their study to part-time and use their student visa to good paying jobs here.  These are people who abuse our system. If you are African or Arab and an ethnic Chinese company or firm (which most are) does not want to employ you, then it is the same problem with Malaysians who are not Chinese. It is not because of your skin colour, they just prefer their own ethnic, even if non-citizens, it may be some genetic code (???) that they cant  help.

I am sure the immigration people have dealt with many bogus people so do not expect to get advice from them. They are not your friends. Get a good lawyer, there seem to be many eager ones in this forum.

More importantly get a skill and expertise that Employers desperately need.  It is true even in rich countries. Try to get visas to the OECD countries with your expertise or lack of and you will know where you stand.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 4, 2016 at 07:12
by   Concern
edited Feb 28, 2017 at 03:53
Actually you need to give under table money around RM20,000 then you can get your PR easily.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 5, 2016 at 16:45
by   jeff005
Personal Views.

Just be cautious of giving table money.

What an applicant can get, maybe a forged one which upon renewed, will be discovered, will entitled immediate deportation and all future applications "ban". Do things the correct way and follow procedures.
0 found this helpful

answered on Oct 25, 2016 at 11:02
by   samar
edited Feb 28, 2017 at 03:54
I am 100% agree with @concern. That is the only way to get PR in this case.
0 found this helpful

answered on Nov 15, 2016 at 06:06
by   jhennie23
edited Feb 28, 2017 at 03:55
I am a Filipino under spouse visa for already 15 years and have done renewals every year but this I told that my visa was no longer valid after I went back to Philippines to renew my passport and I was charged RM500 + RM36 for single entry performed visa and the usual RM90 + RM36 for multiple visa. Is this correct? Previously was not like that. Kindly advise.
0 found this helpful

 1   2   Next »  Last »

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.