Maximum age to hold dual citizenship in Malaysia

4008 Views  ⚫  Asked 8 Years Ago
asked on Apr 16, 2010 at 06:22
edited on May 16, 2016 at 07:23
I saw a lot of green-card related things here. But, what about having US citizenship by birth and Malaysian citizenship by father's nationality? I have been staying in Malaysia since young. As far as I know, this is OK in the US, but not Malaysia.

What is the maximum age I can keep my dual citizenship in Malaysia? Like Singapore, I think is before 22 birthday... I don't want to lose my Malaysian citizenship. It is OK if they don't know about it? What if I travel back to the US and come back to Malaysia? They will find out eventually =.=

So, the most important is the maximum age before I will be forced to renounce my citizenship. Actually, I did some research online, but I couldn't find any thing regarding my circumstance.

Thanks for advance.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
7 Answers

answered on Apr 24, 2010 at 01:17
Your father is a Malaysian and you are a Malaysian! BEAR this in Your Head NOW & FOREVER!!

You are lucky to have dual Citizenship that Nobody knows but, only you alone know!

Stop all your unnecessary worry from now on, if you were holding a Blue MY KAD.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jun 13, 2010 at 00:01
Free from worry when holding dual citizenship?
Is it that the Malaysia authority does not know or does not want to know (ignore)?
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 23, 2010 at 19:57
edited May 16, 2016 at 07:25
Can I ask how old are you now?

What about if mother is a Malaysian? Can the child who is holding a US passport now, get a blue identity card (IC)?

I'm applying the Malaysian citizenship for her now........
She needs to give out her US passport and birth certificate?

Please advise.
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 28, 2010 at 08:53
Mother is a Malaysian, the child can apply for Permanent Resident.

Go to Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (National Registration Department).
0 found this helpful

answered on Feb 26, 2011 at 04:39
edited May 16, 2016 at 07:35
If baby's mother is Malaysian and baby born in Malaysia, register the baby at the hospital (Jabatan Pendaftaran). Baby is automatically accepted as citizen despite father being a foreigner. The baby will eventually be given MyKid card too. No problem at all. This is my experience.

I understand from my cousin that the same can be done too, if the baby was born overseas and to a Malaysian mother. Just register the child before its 1st birthday. Best of luck!

Oh, just for info:

I had my 1st child overseas and I thought being married to its foreign father, it would not qualify for the Malaysian citizenship. So I made the mistake of applying Malaysian permanent resident (PR) for my 1st child (under Jabatan Imigresen). I submitted the form and docs when he was a few months old. 8 years later... I received a letter approving the application. Then I need to submit recent passport size photos and bank draft. I heard it will take another 2 years to get the identity card (IC)! Sigh! Malaysia boleh!
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:42
edited May 16, 2016 at 07:39
If I not mistaken the maximum age we can hold dual citizenship in Malaysia is 21 years old

I found this on the Malaysian Government website that only a citizen of or over the age of twenty-one can renounce his or her Malaysian CITIZENSHIP.


* The applicant must be 21 years and above.
* Sound mind.
* Has obtained citizenship status of a foreign country or certification to become a citizen of that country.
* Complete Form K in duplicate and attach copies of the supporting documents.
Hopefully this helps.
0 found this helpful

answered on Oct 7, 2011 at 11:47
edited May 16, 2016 at 07:46

Not sure how to send you a private message. I am in the similar situation as yours. I opted to apply a Malaysian permanent resident (PR) for my child instead of citizen (my husband is not a Malaysian, the child was born overseas, and the high commission officer told me that the child is not eligible for Malaysian citizen).

So, when I went back to Malaysia to submit the application, the officer told me that the child has to remain in Malaysia for 5 years before he is eligible to submit the PR application. (WHAT THE ..??!!) So now my child is on long-term visa until the 5 years is up.

That's why I'm surprised to see you mentioned that you submitted the application when your child is few months old and was approved ... 8 years later. Though I'm not sure why they need such long time to approve an application. Can you please kindly share your experience when applying for your child's PR? Do you need to go for an interview?

I just feel so cheated by the system. So now I have to wait 5 years to submit, then possibly 8 years to get an answer, and another 2 years to get it validated??!!! This is just so disheartening.
0 found this helpful

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.