Supended Passport when renewing, Passport expired overseas

4300 Views  ⚫  Asked 12 Years Ago
asked on Jan 24, 2010 at 07:43
edited on May 28, 2019 at 21:52
I am a Malaysian citizen holding a Malaysia passport. I was a college student in US and I continued to work following my graduation. I have a legal working status with U.S. throughout that time and I just move to a new job in December 2009. I got my work permit application approved without any problems by the U.S. Immigration (Homeland Security) in December 2009.

My passport expired in May 2008 and I just noticed it this year. I immediately contacted the Malaysian LA Consulate and I was told of 2 options.
1) Renew it in NYC
2) Return to Malaysia to renew it. They will do it without any problems in 2 hours.

I was excited and I got a Emergency Certificate (aka "Temp passport") for a one way trip to Malaysia based on their advice and selecting option #2. Thus, I have not been back to Malaysia since February 2006. I sent the Consulate all the paperwork from certified IC, birth certificate, expired passport just to get the Emergency Certificate.

Here is where the complication lies:
a) I went to renew my passport at the local immigration in Butterworth (Penang).
- Local immigration counter person took my statement.
- Told me that the Pengarah / Director will evaluate my case within 30 days as to whether they will issue a new passport. As I did not have that luxury, I contacted / I went to see the Pengarah 4-5 days later to expedite the issue, and after waiting for 30 seconds, the assistant told me to return to the counter.
- Result at the counter: "Suspended for 3 years on paper."

b) Long story short, I do not have a passport to return to U.S.
- Talking to the officer and showing my proof that I have been a valid employee in U.S., he verbally said that, then it is suspended for 2 years.
- Thus, he said that the embassy and consulate overseas have been prone to give out misleadig info.
- I submitted an appeal letter to them immediately after the suspension. He said that the appeal will go to Putrajaya and that is more than 1 month ago.
- I have been calling and asking people if they can help but to no avail.

Yes, I admit that it was an honest mistake that my passport expired and based on the recommendation of the Malaysian Consulate in Los Angeles, I took the option to return to Malaysia. The thing is I do not have that info from the LA Malaysian Consulate on paper.

I need to return to U.S. so that I can go back to work, have a Malaysian fiancee there (working legally too) and also financial and car there.

Can somebody suggest some methods to get a new passport so that I can get an American visa to return there to work.

Thanks in advance.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
5 Answers

answered on May 13, 2010 at 01:33
edited May 28, 2019 at 21:52
My brother is having the same issue as you right now. Can someone offer some info how to go about with this matter?

I've searched thru internet and this forum for the same kinda case but it seems that no one is able to advise.

Please, should anyone has encountered this and have experience in this matter, your help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
0 found this helpful

answered on May 14, 2010 at 10:44
edited May 28, 2019 at 21:54
Your story tells us that you were making an honest mistake, and your main problem is to get renewal of your passport. Why so much other complication? Have you committed some offences in U.S. or got deported?

Why don't you just fill the Renewal Application Form and submit to them? That's all.

Why talk so much about work and other things to the Immigration?
0 found this helpful

answered on Dec 16, 2010 at 03:20

As a last resort, you may want to visit all the political parties (MCA, PRK, etc.) to see if they can help.
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 29, 2012 at 08:31
edited May 28, 2019 at 21:56
I wanted to update this thread for those who may be looking for info on this matter. My passport expired for 10 years. I never possessed an IC card (too young when I came to the US and never went back). I am a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). I was able to renew my passport at the Malaysian Consulate in NYC.
0 found this helpful

answered on Mar 10, 2022 at 03:01
Not sure if this is still an active post. Does anyone have a solution for this? I am going through the same thing. I don't have an IC card and currently am a lawful Permanent Resident. I want to go back to Malaysia to renew my passport but I don't want to be suspended for years because I have a family and job here. Please help!
0 found this helpful

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions by category or search to find answers.