Child born in United States, to give up Malaysian citizen?

1459 Views  ⚫  Asked 3 Years Ago
asked on Feb 17, 2016 at 21:10
edited on Sep 3, 2018 at 23:32
Me and my husband both are Malaysian. I gave birth in United States recently during vacation and my child is in the process of getting US passport.

We wish to retain our child's US citizenship, but we are flying back to Malaysia soon (1 month later).

Thus I need some help because of some confusions that I was advised not to register in Malaysia Embassy and just stick to US passport. But some says I still can bring my child to register in the Malaysia Embassy in US and there is no issue for the child holding 2 passports until he is age 18, he needs to choose his citizenship (meaning by registering at Malaysia embassy doesn't mean he is giving up US citizenship).

My questions are:

1. I was given an option to apply Social Security Number (SSN) for my child, should I apply for it?

2. I  understand that Malaysia is not recognizing dual citizenship, and I wish my child to retain his US citizenship, so do I need to register in Malaysia embassy in US?

My child can actually fly back with his US passport.

3. When back to Malaysia, do I need to register my child for birth certificate?

4. If my child only holding US passport, how long he can stay in Malaysia? Does he need to out and back every 3 months or are there any documentations to apply so that he can stay longer with us.

Is there any lawyers in Malaysia who are familiar with this issue that we can get advise from? I hope to get this issue clear up before we fly back to Malaysia 1 month later just in case my child need to register to Malaysia Embassy in US. Thank you.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
4 Answers

answered on Feb 19, 2016 at 02:54
edited Sep 3, 2018 at 23:36
SKRINC & COMPANY is one practice in Semenanjung. Google Immigration Advocates / Lawyers Malaysia and a few names will crop up. Below is another one.   

Goh Wong Pereira, Advocates Solicitors
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Litigation, Immigration and Corporate Law Firm in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Phone +60 (3) 62034855

My experience is a UK one as my daughter was born here when I was at university. We registered her at the High Commission here, bringing along her UK birth certificate.  In those early days, a child was included in the Mother's passport, and we travelled home to Malaysia with her in her mother's passport. Situation is different now.

Further, applying for a SSN is not a recognition of Citizenship. I have a National Insurance Number here in the UK. I am still a Malaysian Citizen.

There is no such thing as a person having two birth certificates. Malaysians born overseas must register with the Embassy or High Commission. Suggest you contact the Malaysian Embassy or consulate and ask for advice and clarification.

Check out the advocates above. Their advice is professional. Please give us your feedback so that others can benefit. Thank You.
0 found this helpful

answered on Feb 20, 2016 at 03:19
edited Sep 3, 2018 at 23:37
Great! Thank you for your info and will contact them ASAP!
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 27, 2018 at 15:51
edited Sep 3, 2018 at 23:37
Hi, I’m in the same situation with you. Do you mind to share your experience with me? 
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 30, 2019 at 10:35
edited May 3, 2019 at 17:08
@Julia and @balonb,

Could you guys please your experience? We are in the same situation, we had our baby here in the USA. But have plans of going back to Malaysia and need to know how she can reside there with her US Passport
0 found this helpful

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions by category or search to find answers.