Marriage procedure for Muslim foreigners and Malaysian Muslims

17317 Views  ⚫  Asked 6 Years Ago
asked on Apr 13, 2015 at 18:07
edited on Aug 8, 2016 at 09:30
1. This information is applicable to foreigners (Muslims) who want to get married with local Malaysian Muslims (any race). A standard case example.

2. Foreigners need to get “Marital Certificate” from their home country’s local union council or town administration, stating their permanent resident address, father name and their material status with their new/current passport number. Get it attested by their local council and later Ministry of Foreign Affairs in their home country.

3. This “Marital certificate” or letter or piece of paper a foreigner needs to bring (other supporting documentation might can be required), after arrival get this "marital status certificate” attested again from their Embassy or High Commission in Malaysia.

4. The couple needs to get “kursus kahwin” certificate by attending this two days weekend classes which is about married life related affairs. (prefer English language one) 

5a. The couple then needs "immigration clearance letter" (ICL), from "Wisma Ikhlas" which is white building next to Immigration Office Putrajaya.

5b. Get this (ICL) letter attested by "Wisma putra" only then the Immigration will endorse it. It has foreigner and local picture allowing them to get married after running formal check in their system.

6. Now you have 3 documents ready to submit in to mosque imam, whom you chose to get “Nikkah”
• “kursus kahwin” certificate
• embassy attested letter
• immigration clearance letter
The imam will give you form for nikkah.

6. This form requires you to get 4 witnesses in total, IC/passport copies with their addresses AND the permission of "Wali", who is local Malaysian father or guardian. Please  make sure that Wali is aware of all the affairs. His permission is vital and it will be in written on "Nikkah" Form.

7. The foreigner and local Malaysian have to get attestation of their Malaysian residence address from local "union council" office. The local union council office varies on districts or city.

8. After completing this nikkah form, you have to go and get "registered" with Jabatan Agama Islam or Jabatan Agama Islam Wilayah Persekutuan (JAWI), depending on your district or city. You have to give date of nikkah. After JAWI or Jabatan Agama Islam registration ONLY then you will be allowed to get extension in your social visit permit.

So a foreigner has to complete this process in one month - 30 days. Some other supporting documents like girl's parent nikkah or wali nikkah nama is required if she is the eldest child.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
15 Answers
 1   2   Next »  Last »

answered on Apr 13, 2015 at 20:24
edited Aug 8, 2016 at 09:45
Thank you very much for sharing...

Much appreciated by all esp non-Muslims..
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 28, 2015 at 05:24
edited Aug 9, 2016 at 03:48
@white bunny

Thanks very much for your info and it's true as I have been followed part of them before. But there are few questions which I love to ask you!

Long short story I have tried many ways to register my marriage in Malaysia for past 2 years and it has been a nightmare for me and my fiancee. We have attended the classes and I have taken my letter from my Embassy and so on but we stuck with the immigration part on my side. I can't tell you my full story to get you bored but my question is how if I as foreigner who has overstayed for 1 and half year, register my marriage which we have a child now and what if I surrender myself and come back again to continue the marriage case again but I'm afraid to get banned for long time and I can't come back again?

I need really good info and advise as I'm trying to save my marriage and my family to not get apart.

You advise and help will be appreciated. Thanks.
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 28, 2015 at 16:08
edited Aug 9, 2016 at 03:50

The non-Muslim spouse (Malaysian spouse) should convert first before making an application for marriage. By doing both simultaneously jeopardised the application.

Your case.. you could have done your best to follow all procedures, but you have fail the most important one, that is, breaking laws of immigration. Without the locus standi to be legally on the soil of Malaysia, any applications will be futile.

By having a child out of "wedlock", not only you broken Syariah Laws, some customary laws of non-Muslim, have also compromised the legitimacy of your very own child.

Even as you write or speak now, the delay in "surrendering" to the immigration would entail a longer ban on re-entry.

The most logical step would be to approach your Embassy for help, surrender to the Immigration as soon as possible. Your wife can help by attaching docs to prove the need for you to appeal for a shorter ban. Maybe a Syariah Practising Lawyer or Practising Lawyer from the Bar Council can help tremendously in the appeal. Do take serious note that the appeal must be made 7 working days prior departure via the special pass. The chances of appeal is very much better or even an appeal on the unsuccessful appeal.
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 28, 2015 at 18:43
edited Aug 9, 2016 at 03:57

Dear Jeff such nice information and advice.

It's a big shame that such beautiful country and lovely people but with wrong management. As you informed me few tips of getting married in Malaysia and as I commented earlier I have done some of them and can say I'm in half way of it and I do understand some of the laws in Malaysia about my marriage.

I was looking for a lawyer who can handle my case as I am a foreigner and English speaker can't really go to any part of government and do my case legally and I may face lots of comments and wrong info. BUT where is a good lawyer? Most of them looking at the packets more than their duty.

I have family that needs me to do my part and I have fully responsibility to do it but with these conditions makes it really hard for us to move on. Unfortunately when I was searching my matter on this website I found out I'm not the only one have it and God knows what others are facing and their families.

My need is real and good advice and good lawyer to leave my case to him/her who knows definitely what to do with it!

Thanks for your comment Jeff and was lovely to see your response!
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 20, 2016 at 21:28
Hi White Bunny,

Thanks for the tips. Just wondering what is the time frame to complete all documentations as my future husband lives in the UK and has limited time in KL.

We plan to nikah at the end of this year. So, should I set the nikah date first and have him come here 3 months before actual date to get documentations done. I understand HIV test results and Statutory Declaration (on Single Status) validity period is 3 months.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 28, 2016 at 22:45
I have seen the latter from embassy before, and there's a part in the letter where it says "we have no objection to the marriage of so and so".

Is this line compulsory in the letter or not?
0 found this helpful

answered on Jul 12, 2017 at 02:59
edited Jul 18, 2017 at 10:52
I just want to ask about my situation regarding registration of nikah overseas here in Malaysia.

The situation is: 

1. We married in Singapore this year and we already stopped working there so we came back to Malaysia. I am a convert and my husband is a Malaysian Muslim.

2. We went to Sungai Petani's Pejabat Agama to have our marriage registered. Everything was well they just asked us to show the documents and get and affidavit plus go to the Commissioner of Oaths for the "sumpah". Since my husband's district is not in Kuala Mudah we were not allowed to continue with the process and we have to go to my husband's respective Pejabat Agama District.

3. We went to Kulim's Pejabat Agama where my husband's district is. We presented the proper documents. The lady checked them and she told us that we need to go back to Singapore and have the documents certified. We have the original documents, photo proof and all. Still the lady asked us to go to Singapore.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do we need to have our nikah luar negara registered in Malaysian Embassy in Singapore?

2. Can we just use another address of a relative who resides in Sungai Petani so we can have the nikah registered in Kuala Mudah District?

3. Can we just make an affidavit for the documents instead of going back to Singapore?

Thank you in advance for your prompt reply as always.
0 found this helpful

answered on Sep 29, 2017 at 06:02
edited Oct 17, 2017 at 07:58
How long the process will be for getting married in Malaysia? The other thing I want to ask since every thing here is so helpful is after officially married, is there any cooling period of 6 six months? And in which I have to go back to my country after every 2 months or 1 month... do I need to exit to get extensions? Because someone told me this story and I'm so worried it will cost me a lot.

Your answers will be helpful and appreciated.
0 found this helpful

answered on Sep 29, 2017 at 06:17
edited Oct 17, 2017 at 08:02
is there any cooling period of 6 six months?
Which country are you from? Your country got cooling period? Over here, civil marriages is more civilized. Once married it takes 2 years later before you can divorce.

And in which I have to go back to my country after every 2 months or 1 month... do I need to exit to get extensions?
If officially married you can apply for 6 months stay the first time. Later 1, 2, 3, 5 years Long-Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP).
0 found this helpful

answered on Nov 15, 2017 at 03:13
I'm Indian man from kashmir Srinagar India I want to know  about  how can get single status certificate  in kashmir. With ministry of external affairs attested I need all procedure please help me 
0 found this helpful

 1   2   Next »  Last »

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions by category or search to find answers.