Overstayed: How to return to home country without being detained or rotan caning?

8306 Views  ⚫  Asked 3 Years Ago
asked on Apr 6, 2015 at 17:57
by   Andy
edited on Feb 14, 2017 at 04:08
I would like to check on behalf of my cousin from Singapore who is now in Malaysia. He had invested in a business in Malaysia but after a year his business went down due to conflict of interest with his Malaysian partners. He became broke and ultimately overstayed in Malaysia for over three years now. His passport has also expired. His family was also not financially able to assist him to get him back.

I have managed to get in touch with him and told him that he needs to come back home as his mother is very sick and is hospitalized and due for an operation next week. I have checked with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Singapore and was told to ask him to go to the Embassy for assistance. He is afraid of being detained and given the 'rotan' (caning).

I understand that Malaysia had an Amnesty until 30 December 2014. What is it like now? Is it possible for him to go to the Embassy to get his Travel Document and then buy a confirmed return ticket and then head to the Immigration Department to pay a fine or something in order to leave the country without being detained? I am willing to assist in purchasing his return ticket and pay the fine if it is not too much. I am also willing to come down to Malaysia to bring him back home. Is there grounds for compassion as his mother is very ill? I appreciate anyone's honest advice on this. Thank you very much.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
43 Answers
« Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next »  Last »

answered on Jun 7, 2017 at 23:39
by   soozan
edited Jun 12, 2017 at 07:26
I am in Singapore past 5 years without passport but currently I want to go back to my home country, India. What is the procedure? How much fine and jail punishment? Which is the best way to go home, please?
0 found this helpful

answered on Jun 8, 2017 at 19:59
by   bala
edited Jun 12, 2017 at 07:30
My multiple entry visa has one year validity. But I came as a tourist and can stay for 30 days only. I overstayed for 11 months. How to go back to my country? I came here on 25 June 2016 and my one year multiple entry visa's last date is 20 June 2017. How much do I have to pay the Malaysian government for the fine?
0 found this helpful

answered on Jun 8, 2017 at 21:18
by   jeff005
edited Aug 21, 2017 at 04:57
Go surrender to Immigration Department. Only there you will know how much is your fines.
0 found this helpful

answered on Sep 22, 2017 at 17:16
by   Mae Deliza
edited Oct 16, 2017 at 07:06
My friend is planning to go back in the Philippines but her visa ended last February. We want her to come back here again without any problem. What does my friend need to do?
0 found this helpful

answered on Sep 22, 2017 at 22:00
by   jeff005
@ Mae Deliza

Reply is on this thread
0 found this helpful

answered on Oct 26, 2017 at 18:20
by   Chester
edited Nov 7, 2017 at 11:42
I went to the Immigration office today. They told me I could extend my girlfriend stay for another 2 more weeks, but I need to buy a round trip and flight ticket.

Can I buy the ticket to Thailand instead of Philippines?
0 found this helpful

answered on Oct 26, 2017 at 19:28
by   jeff005
edited Oct 26, 2017 at 19:29
by   jeff005
Why ask more questions?
The officers have answered you.
What "round trip ticket' ticket? It is a one way ticket back to her home country only.

Just ask the immigration if this is the 3 + 1 surrender. This surrender is a ban of 5 years. You will only know about it when immigration officers stamp on the passport during exit 2 weeks later.

The easiest way or safe way is to fly to Hatyai now while she has not yet overstay, or she has already overstayed? It costs only RM99 at times.

Good Luck
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 20, 2018 at 17:54
by   Ruwee
edited Feb 5, 2018 at 02:53
I want to ask and hopefully can get a valid answer. I'm just concern with a lady I met this morning. She's from Philippines and working in Singapore for 6 years. She came to Malaysia as soon her contract ended in Singapore which I'm not sure when it was. She's currently staying in Malaysia for like 6 months not pretty sure, she stayed in different places as per her statement. Scared to be caught by immigration. Now she has IPA I'm not sure what is that mean. But she said it is a contract coming from Singapore where she managed to find an employer again. But she's scared because she said once she goes to the immigration she might be caught. What could be the possible fine? Is she going to be detained? Is it possible she be let go by the Malaysia immigration?

I'm just curious as well so I seek help from this site. Thank you.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 21, 2018 at 09:51
by   jeff005
The above have been answer in this thread

Go  :-
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 18, 2018 at 12:59
by   Chong
edited Apr 28, 2018 at 15:23

Can you please help me regarding overstaying? My friend is an Indonesian. He overstayed 3 weeks because he hurt his leg, now he is better and wants to return to his home town. He visits Malaysia frequently because of his female partner, so he is scared. I saw your forum and told him about it.
What would you advise him to do? He still need to come back for further treatment.

Thank you.
0 found this helpful

« Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next »  Last »

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.