Overstayed: How to return to home country without being detained or rotan caning?

7572 Views  ⚫  Asked 3 Years Ago
asked on Apr 6, 2015 at 17:57
by   Andy
edited on Feb 14, 2017 at 04:08
I would like to check on behalf of my cousin from Singapore who is now in Malaysia. He had invested in a business in Malaysia but after a year his business went down due to conflict of interest with his Malaysian partners. He became broke and ultimately overstayed in Malaysia for over three years now. His passport has also expired. His family was also not financially able to assist him to get him back.

I have managed to get in touch with him and told him that he needs to come back home as his mother is very sick and is hospitalized and due for an operation next week. I have checked with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Singapore and was told to ask him to go to the Embassy for assistance. He is afraid of being detained and given the 'rotan' (caning).

I understand that Malaysia had an Amnesty until 30 December 2014. What is it like now? Is it possible for him to go to the Embassy to get his Travel Document and then buy a confirmed return ticket and then head to the Immigration Department to pay a fine or something in order to leave the country without being detained? I am willing to assist in purchasing his return ticket and pay the fine if it is not too much. I am also willing to come down to Malaysia to bring him back home. Is there grounds for compassion as his mother is very ill? I appreciate anyone's honest advice on this. Thank you very much.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
43 Answers