Malaysian woman as co-respondent in divorce proceedings abroad

439 Views  ⚫  Asked 3 Years Ago
asked on Aug 6, 2015 at 02:21
I am living abroad and filing for divorce on grounds of adultery from my husband, who has confessed to having a 12 month affair with an unmarried Malaysian woman from Sarawak. I have evidence of the opportunity (location data from his cell phone that shows he was in her apartment for 2-3 hours 2 or 3 times a week at night) and intent (emailed love letters and texts talking about love). She has now returned to Sarawak, and I am serving papers on her at her address there via international post, and then, if she does not respond, will have her personally served.

I was told that local authorities in Sarawak would be notified that she is a co-respondent in a divorce case in another country on grounds of adultery. Is this true?
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
2 Answers

answered on Aug 6, 2015 at 03:30
You are filing your divorce proceedings abroad in Sarawak.?
Watch out, the courts in Sarawak & Sabah have their own indigenous "Tribal Courts"..!!
What do you want from this divorce? Compensation from the other woman?
Your lawyers told you that the autorities in Sarawak will be notified? For Wat?
Is a divorce proceeding a crime? Punishable under the Penal Code.? Jailed plus Whipping? Immigration Ban?
Nowadays the legal profession is upside down fleecing innocent victims..
Dispensing dunno what types of legal advices for your money. How much did they charge you per hour? RM500??
Sue those lawyers instead..!!
0 found this helpful

answered on Aug 6, 2015 at 07:34
We live outside of Malaysia and I am filing at home. The affair was largely carried out in my home country and the other woman has now returned to Sarawak for the year and will be served there by a UK court, discretely, via international mail. Under our divorce law, the other woman should be liable for half of the court fees only (no other liability). Obviously a civil matter, and I am not interested in pursuing it any further than that. She is expected to return to here in about a year.
It was not my solicitor who gave me this information, but a colleague who claimed to have some knowledge of the Malaysian legal system. I just wanted to double-check before she is served, because I am not interested in prosecuting her beyond what is stipulated in my home country's law. I do not want local authorities in Sarawak notified under any circumstances-- this is a civil matter here, I am seeking assurance that it will remain as such. My colleague managed to frighten me!

Thank you for your informed questions.
0 found this helpful

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.