Car-Motorbike Accident Insurance Claim

2795 Views  ⚫  Asked 8 Years Ago
asked on Oct 3, 2009 at 00:04
by   sara_m_elle
I was involved in an accident with a motorbike few days back. It was the fault of the motorcyclist, he knocked the side (front,right) of my car while trying to turn into a junction whilst i was on the main road.

After the shock from the accident, I got double shocks from my insurance agent and the police.  They were telling me that the motocyclist can claim MEDICAL from my comprenhensive insurance policy, although the accident occured due to his fault!

Is this true?? and where is this law stated??

This is so ridiculous - this means i'd lose out on my NCB (55%) because of this motorcyclist who decides to kncok my car that fateful day.. THROUGH NO FAULT OF MINE!

Kindly advise, thanks!
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
9 Answers

answered on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:14
by   Cosmos
Have you informed your own insurance company of the accident? did you lodge a police report of the accident soon after it occurred. If you did not you have placed yourself in a position to be compromised.
0 found this helpful

answered on Mar 23, 2011 at 04:00
by   duckie
It does not matter whose fault it is.
The motorcycle can still claim if he is injured.
and Yes, you will lose your NCD
0 found this helpful

answered on Mar 27, 2011 at 20:09
by   Shah
It looks like motorcyclist can knock any cars they like coz the will not be blamed for any damage to any car knocked by them..
0 found this helpful

answered on May 18, 2011 at 16:53
by   Unfortunate
Yes of course motobike stand a better advantage no matter how is their condition. Meaning sympathy plays in the first place. Guess so they are protected even without any valid insurance or who is at fault in the first place. I just kwew that few days ago, as i am in the same senario.. Sob sob Where is the justice.....
0 found this helpful

answered on Mar 1, 2012 at 21:47
by   Steve
Aside from the medical claim, can we claim from the motorcycle's insurance for my car damage?
0 found this helpful

answered on Jun 22, 2012 at 19:57
by   Shah
Hi there, i had the same accident two months ago! yes to my suprise this is actually happening. My car is still at the workshop until today. I was hit by a rackless motorcyclist and had caused 21K in repair!! The motorcylist was without insurance and lisence. I was left with 21K in repairment, lost my NCD, 2 months without transport, and all the cost i have to bare which i can sum up to 35K and he the motorcyclist gets away with just a RM600 summon!!  so much for justice
0 found this helpful

answered on Feb 15, 2018 at 12:53
by   Samara

I have the same incidents this year 2018 and was furious about the outcome. Despite there are lot of rumours (without facts) saying that motorbike is always on the upper hand when it comes to this incidents which I find it ridiculous and do my own research on the road transportation act in Malaysia & PIAM insurance information. 

Police Investigation report is out and the summon is on the other party (Motorcyclist) and I wanted to claim his insurance and was told that the motorcyclist insurance is not able to cover my damage due to the premium. So I did some research and found this as below:- 


Under this there are this phrase "Own Damage Knock-for-Knock Claim" which might able to help to out argue and save the costs out of pocket. Have anyone done this claim before? 

Besides is there any guidance from car driver facing the same problem ? I would appreciate some help on this matter.
0 found this helpful

answered on Feb 19, 2018 at 02:53
by   prdv
In this incident if there is no bodily injury to either party than both parties have only property  damage losses. Bank Negara with PIAM under knock for knock both parties claim from their respective insurance instead of suing each other and insurance stepping in to defend the claims.
Under knock for knock your insurers will then claim from the other guys insurers as he was at fault but as m/cycle I presume only had  3rd party insurance cover his  insurer will lose out. Party not at fault will not lose NCD provided you informed your insurers of the accident ASAP via accident claim form. The Knock for Knock is between insurers. Your Own Damage claim is not affected by m/cycle only having 3rd
Party insurance as long as you use your insurers panel mechanics and no breaches on your policy terms.
0 found this helpful

answered on Feb 19, 2018 at 07:58
by   prdv
Please call your motor insurance agent for assistance on OD-KFK as you have to
get your insurance to deal with the other guys insurance. Can you clarify why the m/cycle
insurance premium does not cover you damage? Unless the m/cycle is not roadworthy and the premium
was too high thus the guy was not fully covered for 3rd party risk then there is the Motor
Insurance Pool whereby the unrisked portion is borne by all motor insurance companies under said
pool. Clarify with your agent, workshop and/or lawyer. There is something called the MMIP motor
insurance pool but not sure if it extends to third party property damage loss or just 3rd party bodily injury only.Do it immediately as the repairs has to be assessed by a loss adjusters.  If the damage is
not extensive than you sue the other guy directly for the unrisked portion. If this is the case OD-KFK may not be available but a direct third party claim still is.
0 found this helpful

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.