Q.. Do foreigners need to get their passport stamped or have a temporary residence permit to work in Malaysia?

130 Views  •  Asked 4 Months Ago
asked on May 21, 2023 at 22:46
edited on May 21, 2023 at 22:48
by   jeff005

The Laws of the Land says :

All Foreigners who want to work in Malaysia have to apply for a work permit from the Immigration Department.

There are many categories of work permits for different nature of work.

Immigration Laws requires potential worker to apply for a visa (just to enter) from the Malaysian Embassy in your country for the purpose of completing the application of a work permit jointly by a prospective employer. It is a joint employer/employee application.

Immigration Laws states that the worker have to have a entry stamp in passport failing which the visa is “null and void” and be deny entry (NTL).

Upon arrival with the required documentation MY IMi will stamp a Visit Pass of 30 days of which is for the purpose of applying for a work permit. This is the “temporary residency permit”.

Upon successful application of a work permit, a Multiple Entry Visa (in sticker format) will placed in the passport pages.

The validity of this permit sticker depends on the contract validity period and is subject to renewal on a yearly basis. For PWP (Professional Employment Permit, it is usually 2 years validity period.

The critical points are :
a. Correct visa to enter
b. Existence of compulsory entry stamp in the passport
c. Visitor Pass (Tourism) cannot be converted into another type of “Pass

Sample : EP (Employment Pass)

1 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]

Know someone who can answer? Share a link to this question via email, Twitter, or Facebook.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions by category or search to find answers.