Divorce Overseas: JPN Malaysia requires a High Court order to register the divorce. Citizenship issue.

458 Views  ⚫  Asked 3 Years Ago
asked on Aug 16, 2018 at 09:27
edited on Aug 25, 2018 at 18:55
My husband is a Malaysian. He was previously married in Malaysian and they later migrated to Australia. Later the marriage broke down and they divorced in Australia. The divorce certificate says he is a “Australian Citizen”. I am a Malaysian and we got married by ROM in Sydney because he did not realize the statement on divorce about the citizenship. Hence we couldn’t get married or registered in Malaysia.
I understand I need a High Court order “Perintah”. In doing so, would the court realize that he is a Malaysian, and report his dual nationality status. We do not want to lose his Malaysian citizenship.
How is this order processed? I’m just wondering how diligent they are in checking etc or is it just a quick admin process.
If we do not register our marriage here, how would that impact me? I am currently working in KL. I am worried about the legality when I fill out government forms like tax submission etc.
Please advise. Thank you.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
1 Answers

answered on Aug 16, 2018 at 10:35
edited Aug 25, 2018 at 18:55
You would cry at the lengthy process. Go get the services of a competent immigration lawyer.
0 found this helpful

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions by category or search to find answers.