Status of citizenship for my newborn child

176 Views  ⚫  Asked 1 Year Ago
asked on Oct 10, 2017 at 03:23
edited on Oct 23, 2017 at 10:02
I am an Indian citizen (holding a tourist pass). I’m married to a Malaysian. We recently had our baby in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

As I am an Indian citizen, I would like to register my child as an Indian citizen as well. The birth certificate stating my child as a citizen of Malaysia and referred us to the Nationality department for further enquiries.

We’ve also referred to the Indian High Commission for assistance on this issue. They are willing to give my child an Indian citizenship provided she renounces her Malaysian citizenship, as the Indian Government doesn’t allow dual citizenship for its citizens. 
Kindly advise the procedure to renounce the Malaysian Citizenship for my daughter
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
1 Answers

answered on Oct 10, 2017 at 17:32
edited Oct 23, 2017 at 10:03
What is the colour of the Birth Certificate?
Is the marriage registered with the India Consulate?
Has the child birth been registered with the India Consulate?
Is there a marriage registered in India and registered with the Malaysian Embassy there?
Have you overstayed your tourist pass while giving birth here?

The procedure to renounce citizenship lies with the Home Ministry. A trip there would have given you the answers you need. This is just a Discussion Forum. As far as I am concerned, your child has not been accorded citizenship yet, eligible but still have to apply for in Malaysia .
0 found this helpful

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.