Can non Malaysian inherit property from Malaysian citizen parent ?

2182 Views  ⚫  Asked 1 Year Ago
asked on Jul 9, 2017 at 19:22
I was born in Sarawak but has migrated to USA a become a US citizen,  is there any complication or law prevent me from getting an inheritance from my parent who are Malaysian citizen living in Sarawak.  Thanks in advance.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
2 Answers

answered on Jul 10, 2017 at 18:13
edited Jul 10, 2017 at 18:14
by   jeff005
Personal views

Ref :

Under the National Land Code 1965 (“Code”), a person may sell or dispose of his property to a foreign national but only after the State Consent has been obtained.[3] If a foreign national wishes to purchase a residential property in Malaysia, he must therefore make an application to the State Authority to obtain the State Consent before he completes the transaction. If this is not complied with, the sale or disposal can be rendered null and void.

Based on Budget 2014, announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak on 25 October 2013, the government will be imposing stricter governmental restrictions to curb speculations by local and foreign investors in the real estate market.Announcing this when presenting the 2014 Budget, he said this was among
Minimum Property Purchase Price For Foreign Interests Acquisitionin Kl, Penang And Johor
a slew of measures being implemented to temper the sharp rise of homes in the country and it may cause serious implications on foreign interests who wish to buy a home in Malaysia.
Within the framework of this Article, the acquisition of immovable property by foreign interest shall be examined.Malaysian Government has doubled the minimum value of properties that foreign interests could buy to RM1 million, from RM500, 000 currently as listed down in the Table below for the Penang, Johor and Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Labuan and Putrajaya.

a person may sell or dispose of his property to a foreign national 
This should be applicable in the case of INHERITANCE.
However, a non-muslim needs the STATE approval for any sale/transfers of Malay Reserved Land / Property and is subject to Levy, Property Taxes..
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 18, 2019 at 10:48
Have you received answer to the above question ? I would like to know ! thanks 
0 found this helpful

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.