Personal Data Protection Act: Bank sent letter to old address

274 Views  ⚫  Asked 1 Year Ago
asked on Apr 11, 2017 at 16:55
by   ju5t_qu35t10n
edited on Apr 17, 2017 at 09:16
I'm a credit card holder from one of the biggest local bank, I've requested for them to change and update my latest address and they did their job well.

But when they sent a confirmation via snail mail with a full new address in the mail, I got screwed. The main reason, I shifted house due to some personal issue but when the bank sent this confirmation via mail with the full address stated in the letter it already compromise my new location.

What do you expect when customer changing an address you sent a confirmation letter to the old address with a new address in that letter. Why not just notify that the address has been update or something. The sad part is when I collected the letter, it sort of look like it has been opened. For nearly 2 weeks, I had to take leave just to make sure every thing is okay at home. My wife is down and concerned .. you guys know lah.. women ..

So to whom shall I complain as I highlighted this matter to the banks and they said it is standard operating procedure.. any idea guys.. wish to have some compensation from them .. If worst comes to worst, need to relocate.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
3 Answers

answered on Apr 11, 2017 at 18:12
by   jeff005
There is no breach in the PDPA.
The culprit is the one who opened yr mail. Why? You like to go to court? Sue for compensation? What is your financial losses?
You may end up being countersued for specified amount computated by bank lawyers. Cases in courts is not a play play thing for layman.
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 11, 2017 at 20:35
by   ju5t_qu35t10n

i believe there is a breach of PDPA coz as a bank they suppose not to divulge the full new address in the mail 1st thing and thus sending it to the old address.. just to call and chage the address how many security question we need to answer.. it should be a simple notification instead full address.

i not planing to sue them.. coz the risk is to high..  im looking only to know how to make them pay by complaining to the right channel.

What is your financial losses?

to answer this its best to say .. a lot .. to me lah. 1st cost of moving. 2nd cost of relocating everything e.g. kids schooling etc.. emotion, stress, coz of this simple mistake..

to blame 100% to the one who open my mail is not fair the banks also had to blame also . on why u need to put the full address.. and heck the use the full address a part security verfication.
0 found this helpful

answered on Apr 11, 2017 at 21:53
by   jeff005
edited Apr 11, 2017 at 21:58
by   jeff005
If you interprete the PDPA Act of which you have the locus standi to sue..  then sue la. You can appoint one of the 50,000 qualified lawyers in West Malaysia to represent you. Or you can DIY. It only cost around RM 180 to file a Writ of Summons in court.

To make a case, put your ic on the reception table of any BNM offices and make an official complaint. BNM will summon the bankers to meet you at BNM office.

It is high time layman should haul those banks to court and BNM. We have been over bullied in many instances.
0 found this helpful

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.