How to obtain a new passport after confiscation

652 Views  ⚫  Asked 1 Year Ago
asked on Jan 11, 2017 at 20:45
by   LMV07
edited on Jan 16, 2017 at 07:14
I'm a Malaysian citizen. I went to New Zealand in 2010 and unfortunately my passport expired in 2011. I realised it too late and panicked and didn't do anything. Initially I tried to contact the High Commission there but I didn't get reply at that time. I panicked and didn't do anything about it and I overstayed in New Zealand for 5 years. 

I decided to come back last year (2016) and the High Commission in New Zealand issued me a temporary passport to travel and that temporary passport was taken at the immigration department at KLIA and they gave me a letter to contact the Director of Immigration one month later (in October). I sent a letter to them, but I haven't got any response. 

I am wondering if there are any lawyers out there that can help me with this problem and how can I contact them? Thank you.
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
7 Answers

answered on Jan 12, 2017 at 06:35
by   LauKekSim
edited Jan 16, 2017 at 07:13
What is your problem? I do not see any problem at immigration side? The problem is you..!!

There is no need for lawyers at Immigration unless you are facing a jail term. All passport application must be done personally at the premises of the Immigration.

You have chosen to "write" letter.. I would also throw this letter away.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 13, 2017 at 23:36
by   LMV07
My main concern is: 

1. I was given a letter and told to contact the Director of the Immigration department after one month which I did, by sending in a letter, but I have not received a reply. I am not sure if I can go ahead and apply for a new passport without the approval of the director of the department. 

2. If they do not want to issue me a passport, I would like legal advice on what my options are and if I can make an appeal etc. 
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 16, 2017 at 05:23
by   Miri Boy
edited Jan 16, 2017 at 07:05
I think the answer you got from @LauKekSim seems abrupt and very unprofessional. Why bother responding if no advice is forthcoming.

Malaysia is very hard on Malaysian Over Stayers. The usual is a 5 year passport ban. My knowledge is based on one event that I personally know off. I would consult an Immigration Lawyer for direction given your circumstances, mitigating or otherwise etc, before approaching the immigration department. Google Malaysian Immigration lawyers and make a few phone calls and then choose one...Good Luck
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 16, 2017 at 16:33
by   LauKekSim
edited Jan 23, 2017 at 09:05
@Miri Boy

Why bother responding if no advice is forthcoming.
You appeared to be working for the lawyers. So why don't you post the names, phone and address of those lawyers.

2 advises have been given.
1. No need lawyers
2. You have to go direct to Immigration Dept to contact the Director

You do give an insight on certain issues pertaining immigration issues but at the expense of running down the postings of other forumers.

One of your post:
DO NOT travel to Malaysia with two Passports. Leave your foreign passport behind. If for any reason, you are searched by an immigration officer or police in Malaysia, and they find you have a document indicating you are a citizen of another country, they will clip the corner of your Malaysia Passport and you will loose your Malaysia citizenship. If you are not fussed about loosing your Malaysian status, then take a chance, and live with any consequences.
1. Malaysian Immigration Officers do not conduct bodily checks at this point of time at airports.
2. Police do not check randomly on locals and do not have the authority to clip the corners of any passport, be it Malaysian or otherwise.
3. By caught travelling on two passports, you do not lose your Malaysian Citizenship. The Immigration IO will direct you to go to JPN to sort out the matter by the application of withdrawal of citizenship or cancel the other side. Please show proof and walk the talk.
4. Police and Immigration do not have Jurisdiction over the the cancellation of citizenship of a Malaysian.

If a Malaysian traveler has gone overseas, say for a period of 6 months and while overseas, travel elsewhere on another country's passport, there is no stamp on the Malaysian passport. When he/she re-enter back Malaysia, sure can come back in. Try going out again. How did this person have stayed overseas for so long without other supporting "stamps".

Teach the correct way and International Travel will be safe for ALL.

Your advices appear good, but do you realize you are also teaching MILITANTS on how to get in and out of Malaysia?
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 17, 2017 at 02:13
by   NeutralPointOfView
edited Jan 23, 2017 at 09:06
I do not see the difference between Miri boy and the group fighting against the banks. Both are using loopholes of the law and systems of Malaysia... with good or bad intention that depends on your point of view.

From my point of view, both have good intentions of assisting those genuinely in need of help.

One is trying to help who wish to have dual citizenship, no doubt against the law of Malaysia, because they are proud of their Malaysian status and still love Malaysia but due to certain situation or environment in Malaysia which is not favourable to them, they moved to another country. If you hate Malaysia, you will just migrate to another country and dump your Malaysian citizenship, just like your ex.

While the other is also trying to help those having debts with banks but due to certain situation unable to pay their debts such as loss of job, illness etc.

Common phrases... Do not pay a single cent... Do not travel to Malaysia with two passports.

You cannot deny the fact that such information are available to the public on the internet and that someone with bad intentions will use such info to achieve their goals.

From the creditors and government point of view, both are using the incorrect way of handling the situations where debtors are encourage not to pay what they borrowed while militants would use such info travelling in and out of Malaysia.


Police do not check randomly on locals - Why not? Yes they do. I've seen that personally.

Malaysian IO do not conduct bodily checks at this point of time at airports - Yes they do, randomly. And if I am not mistaken, Miri boy did not refer to bodily checks. And if I remember correctly, from other postings on such issue, he was referring to an incident of searching or scanning of luggage.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 19, 2017 at 06:33
by   Miri Boy
edited Jan 23, 2017 at 09:07
Thank You NaturalPointofView for your comeback.

All my postings are based on true events and experiences. I do not pluck info from the ether. As you intimate... I think,... there are many that have gone overseas and got into trouble, through desperation. These are asking for help and advice.

I know of many who buck the system because they have influence or are part of Malaysia's hierarchical structure. Also, money does talk. I know of one Sarawakian who got her passport cut and confiscated by immigration in KL. She travelled back to Kuching on her “K” IC and got a new K Passport.

I have never run down the postings of forummers, but have responded for correction (if I am aware) or rudeness. I could come back with a scathing or lambasting response, like where the sun don't shine, but it's not worth the effort or pleasure. I'll leave it at that.

Plenty of Malaysian Immigration Law Firms on the internet. This forum is not for advertising.

If having a “K” IC, a “K”Passport and an ROC is talking big then so be it!

People asking for advice are entitled to a CIVIL return. Only a qualified lawyer can give a professional response.
0 found this helpful

answered on Jan 23, 2017 at 10:44
by   Panas Hati Orang
edited Feb 1, 2017 at 09:20

LMV07 is asking for help and advice before going to the Immigration. But you replied: "Problem is you", "Throw away letter". Why? If cannot reply nicely, shut up.

Why you attack @Miri Boy? He advice get lawyer first to find out how to 'lihat' or 'tengok jalan'. Why you talk about dual nationality? Because you jealous?

Many big shots have dual nationalities. Immigration closes one eye or 'tutup mata'. These people use VIP jalan. Only small 'cari makan' people being punished by immigration 'orang rendah'. Big Shots look after Big Shots.

Your advices appear good, but do you realize you are also teaching MILITANTS on how to get in and out of Malaysia
You say Datos, Datins, Ministers and MPs are MILITANTS? @Miri boy cannot teach what already big shot know? Plenty of information for you to find.

Teach the correct way and International Travel will be safe for ALL
What do you mean by this? @LMVO7 broke New Zealand Law because his VISA expired? Many people break visa law, because only way to cari makan. If life OK people will not break VISA rule.
0 found this helpful

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.