Renewing Malaysian Passport In the US

376 Views  ⚫  Asked 1 Year Ago
asked on Dec 1, 2016 at 15:46
by   HelloPinky
edited on Dec 27, 2016 at 07:24
I am a lawful permanent resident through marriage 2 years ago. I have read in the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website, in order for me to renew my passport, proof of legal status is needed (i.e.: Green card).

The problem is that all of my legal documents in the US are in my married name. And I have not declared my marriage with the Malaysian government because I did not get married in accordance with the religious processes (Islam). I got married in a legal court house. Because of this, my marriage is not recognized in Malaysia.

I can provide my Green Card, but since it's under a different name, I'm not sure if they'd require my marriage certificate. I can absolutely provide my marriage certificate, but I could not provide the Islamic marriage certificate, which is required if you want your marriage to be "recognized" in the Malaysian's governments eyes.  I have no issues dealing with the US authorities.

Any advice on how I can renew my passport while being in the US?
0 had this question
Me Too
0 favorites
[ share ]
2 Answers

answered on Dec 1, 2016 at 16:27
by   Tough Issue
renew my passport,
my marriage is not recognized in Malaysia
my Green Card, but since it's under a different name, 

The only way is to go back to US before passport expire and renew from there.
0 found this helpful

answered on Dec 5, 2016 at 01:01
by   Sunflower7
edited Dec 27, 2016 at 07:25
Did you manage to find your answer? Would like to know the solution too.
0 found this helpful

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy, cookie policy and terms of service.