What happens to my outstanding mortgage (without insurance coverage) in the event of my death? Advertisement  
The deceased's survivor or next of kin can claim through the court the rights of the deceased's property. The person will have an option to either proceed to service the loan or redeem it.

However, most financial institutions make it compulsory to insure (MRTA [1]) against such an event.

Back to Housing Loan's Contents

  1. ^ Mortgage Reducing Term Assurance (MRTA) - A term insurance which reduces over the tenure of the loan. This form of insurance is used to provide cover for the outstanding loan amount, in the event of death or total permanent disability of the insured. MRTA is normally calculated to meet the outstanding loan amount.

Reprinted with permission from BankingInfo (A Consumer Education Programme by Bank Negara Malaysia)

Back to the top

Sponsored Links

Share this Page
submit to reddit

Tags   :     |    |    |    
Knowledge Base ID   :   1291
Last Review   :   May 22, 2014
Source   :   BankingInfo

Related Mortgages (Housing or Home Loans) Issues
» Can I purchase a house under joint names and apply for the housing loan only under my name?
» What is the margin of finance (MOF) for housing loans in Malaysia?
» What is a graduated payment scheme?
» What are the documents required for a housing loan application?
» Should I consider refinancing my home loan if I am offered a lower interest rate?
» How does a financial institution or bank assess my housing loan repayment capacity?
» If the developer abandons the housing project, am I still required to service my interest or instalment payments?
» What are the rights and duties of a bank during the course of a housing loan?
» What happens when my home loan is fully repaid or settled?
» How long is the grace period for payment of my monthly home loan instalment?

Back to the top